Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I am confused about the tire pressure for a 95 zx7 L model.

I weigh about 140pounds.

The VIN sticker shows the front as 250 KPA (36 PSI) and rear as 290 KPA (42 PSI). Doesnt that sound a little too high?

I am currently at 32.5 Rear and a little less for the front.

Is the tire pressure a little related to the rider weight?
Anyways whats the optimum KPA/PSA i should pump

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,530 Posts
Hey guys I am confused about the tire pressure for a 95 zx7 L model.

I weigh about 140pounds.

The VIN sticker shows the front as 250 KPA (36 PSI) and rear as 290 KPA (42 PSI). Doesnt that sound a little too high?

I am currently at 32.5 Rear and a little less for the front.

Is the tire pressure a little related to the rider weight?
Anyways whats the optimum KPA/PSA i should pump

Thanks

I switch between 36 rear/34 front and 38 rear/36 front (PSI).

I run the higher pressure if I'm doing more of a commute and run the lower set if I'm heading into the mountains for some fun.

However, I weigh around 185 lbs. and have for the last 10 years or so. The last time I weighed 140 lbs I was maybe 15 or 16.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
X2 I run 34 front and 38 rear.

Factory spec is for highway mileage I would guess.

Josh

·
VP Whoring
14,930 Posts
I feel like im running low then. My buddy has mine at 34 rear 32 front. Im only a whopping 140 with my gear on though. But i ride mine rather aggressively, and only have a 10 mile commute to work. I have been trying not to use the bike as my daily commuter now (which is hard to do with the Explorer at 200k miles already)

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Here's some data that I go by.

For most brands of street tire (in My case the Dunlop Q2 and Metzeler M3)

For better Mileage: 34 Front; 38 Rear
For Aggressive Street Riding: 34 Front; 36 Rear
For Canyon Carving: 32 Front; 31 Rear
For Rain Riding (Casual): 32 Front; 34 Rear
2Up riding (Casual): 36 Front; 40 Rear
2Up riding (Aggressive): 34 Front; 34-36 Rear

For Track Riding: 32 Front; 30-31 Rear

Everything is + or - a PSI depending on Rider & Passenger weight along with road conditions.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Reviving an old thread here. I'm running 2CTs and suppose I could classify my riding style as Canyon Carving. My tires are set at 32 front and 31 rear, and I really love the grip. My question is what is the reasoning behind setting the rear at a lower PSI than the front for this style of riding? After I was told to lower the pressure, I saw huge performance gains and never really questioned it since.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I heard it's common improvement for trackdays - lowet tire pressure for more grip. Tires warm up faster, more contact area with surface, but when you use it for normal riding, where you do not use whole tire and bike potential, they simply wear out faster.

·
Premium Member
13,117 Posts
As I just posted on another thread, this is what a factory tire rep told me at a major race event:

The recommended cold pressure embossed on the tire by the factory is just that and that varying it by 4 psi is too much. Modern tires warm up very quickly and running low pressures on the street can cause damage to the carcass when you hit a bump or pothole. The ride and performance of a street tire is more directly affected by the type of tire and the particular rubber compound(s) than varying pressure. In other words, if you want or need more traction, you go to a softer type tire rather than lowering the pressure of a harder one. Although some small gain in warmup time and traction may result from running lower-than-recommended pressures, the tire will just wear out more quickly and can even overheat, causing chunking and blistering.

If continually adjusting tire pressure for different situations were advantageous, the factories would have added an electronically-controlled pump to vary tire pressure on the fly by now. They have electronics for everything else.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts