Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know manufacturers have recommendations for new tire break in but I figure most of you guys have more seat time and have been through more tires than the scientist at the labs coming up with this stuff. I just got my Shinko 005's in and want to know how you guys break your tires in before feeling comfortable with aggressive riding

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So just normal, daily style driving will get rid of all the "nipples"? Just take it easy in the corners until they're gone?

·
Registered
843 Posts
yeah kind of just make sure the nice and scrubed in before you accerate hard out of the corners do you have back roads where you live?

·
Registered
843 Posts
and also allot of guys run shinkos for drag racing for agressive forest riding i personaly like the bridgestone battalx bt014 and the pilot powers by michelem

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
I don't know about a break in, however you should at least "scrub" the surface. Some people swear you can go balls to the wall as soon as it is warmed up. But, take it easy in the first few turns, give it a little more as you go. Basically, reduce your chicken strips one little bit at a time.

You will see the tire "change color" from the fresh unused area to the normal worn area.

I always just lean farther and farther through out the first 100 miles or so.

·
Registered
843 Posts
very well expained masta squid im sure you could go balls to the walls but i prefer to warm it up for about 30 miles i just dont trust fresh tires lol

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
I think those people that fire on a new tire and then go flat out right away are idiots.

There is an article that "explains" why tire "break in" is a myth. And it might be true that they don't need to be "broken in" but, they should still have the surface scrubbed. This can seriously be done within 5 minutes if you have an open parking lot. This is not a break in.

And it is this I think that people get confused in the debate.

I think you can take a brand new set of tires, go out to a parking lot, then do circles harder and harder until you have a knee down, then repeat on the other side.

But I wouldn't go knees down on a tire surface that is still fresh and shiny.

At the very least, because they wind up covered in soap from mounting it.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Scrubbing in a tire basically requires that you get enough heat in the tire. You do this by accelerating hard and then braking hard. Once you get enough heat in the tire the sides will grip.

Swerving from side to side does very little if anything. Swerving doesn't generate as much heat as hard braking. Keep it straight up and down, gas it
and then brake a couple of times.

I first read about this in a publication (can't remember which one). I think it was Sport Riding Techniques by Nick Ienatsch

(As a point of reference, guys put brand new tires on at the track and are knee down after only 1 lap [less than 2 miles in most cases] even without tire warmers)

It can be tricky on the street with all the road debris and chemicals hidden in the pavement so caution is needed.

Check your tire pressure. Very important.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Thanks for the tips guys. What is a good tire pressure for them for somewhat aggressive street riding?
I never ran shinkos so I can't really tell you.

I typically run 34 in the front and 36-37 in the rear for general everyday riding.

For canyon carving, more like 31 front and 30 rear.

·
6,850 Posts
Scrubbing in a tire basically requires that you get enough heat in the tire. You do this by accelerating hard and then braking hard. Once you get enough heat in the tire the sides will grip.

Swerving from side to side does very little if anything. Swerving doesn't generate as much heat as hard braking. Keep it straight up and down, gas it
and then brake a couple of times.

I first read about this in a publication (can't remember which one). I think it was Sport Riding Techniques by Nick Ienatsch

(As a point of reference, guys put brand new tires on at the track and are knee down after only 1 lap [less than 2 miles in most cases] even without tire warmers)

It can be tricky on the street with all the road debris and chemicals hidden in the pavement so caution is needed.

Check your tire pressure. Very important.
Yep, Hard braking and hard acceleration are the best way to get a tire warmed up and ready for hard corners. I do the "side to side" motion to clean the tires of all the debris in the pit area or go through and area where someone did an offroad excursion, but no loading the tire when doing it. Two laps around the track with hard braking and acceleration and I am ready to go knee down even on new tires.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts

I just buy Turbo's Track Scrubs...

That set I bought has atleast 2,000 miles or road use left in them... couldnt beat the price... and they are nice and scrubby!! :rolleyes

1 - 15 of 15 Posts