Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm new to the motorcycle world but i am learning so much every freakin' day. one thing i have a question on is cleaning my bike. what is the best way to clean her up when she's dirty? i use plexis on the fairings, but what about the frame, tires, etc. if i should wash her with traditional soap and water, how should i take care of the chain afterwards?

tips and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

G

·
Yeah, as another newbie, just to add to that point. What's the story with gettin er' down to the ol' coin wash and spraying her down. I've heard some people say that's a big no-no, but never heard why. Thx.
Drew~

·
Registered
62 Posts
wax on wax off grasshoper

ok my newbie brothers, heres my advice..i will break it down the best i can

takin her down to the ol spray n' wash...aint the best.BECAUSE thats really high pressure coming out of there..and bikes have so much internal type things exposed. ie wires, carbs, cables!. chains!. air intakes, !!!!headers exhaust parts!!!..exhaust stuff can crack if temperature changes happen too fast!...and of course sensitive wires should stay dry....

basically use a soft flow from a hose to wash your wheels and the fairing just use a detail spray of watever u like...i use armor alls" tubes of wipes...they come in a 3 pack..glass.cleaning, and protectant...anyways basically u jus want to wipe and wax..and any frame parts u can !!once in while!! use a degreaser

ok finally,,,,make sure u relube everything u degrease!!!!!!!...chains, cables, swinging parts...bikes gotta be well lubed but not drippin with oil..especially the chain, believe it or not chains stretch, and if its not lube it will break..

!wipe wax lube!...hope this helps

·
Registered
990 Posts
Thread on cleaning wheels
http://www.zxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1255

For washing the bike use warm water & auto shampoo (wash & wax stuff) as washing up liquid for doing dishes has stuff in it that's not beneficial to bikes & will mess up paint long term. If using in all weathers coat engine, suspension & frame with WD40 (or whatever the equivalent is in the USA). For bodywork use a quality wax polish. For screens use a mild abrasive (Brasso in the UK) if it becomes dull or scratched.

One of the biggest problems with pressure washers is that they blow past the seals on wheel bearings & will knacker them in no time once a bit of water gets in.

·
Premium Member
4,424 Posts
Do not armor all your tires or your seat & dont use anything with silicone either.
slip right off you will, seat and pavement

1 - 7 of 7 Posts