Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 18 months since totaling my ZX6 on track, I got a chance to get another bike. sorry guys choice don't have any Kawas included.

My friend wants to sell his almost brand new 2011 Yamaha R6 for $9k. I am thinking that would be an excellent track tool. But then passed by the Aprilia dealer and they have a demo 2011 RSV4 R going for $13.5. The dealer also said they will throw in a free Ohlins shock with the bike when they knew my intentions with it. The bike has been dropped though on one side and the engine case, fairing, and exhaust have scratches.

Now I am torn between the 2. Can't decide if the 4k is worth it for the Aprilia. Not sure if I need 1000cc bike on track, (but all my friends use liter bikes on trackdays and I would be placed in a different group with the 600). I tested one back in 2010 on track and I loved how it felt. I also like the idea of Traction control, and love the sound of the V4. The R6 is light, maybe easier to work with , and costs less to maintain.

can't decide, help needed
or maybe I should get another Ninja :headscratch

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
From experience, buy a bike that is already set up for the track and is easy to get parts for. When I saw set up, I mean something already in track plastics with track goodies (suspension, rear sets, etc)

I'd say if you're wanting a track bike, I'd go with neither of those options...but I definitely wouldn't go with the Aprilia.

Do you race?
-Cody

·
Registered
352 Posts
Is the Ape an APRC model? If so, I'd go that route, hands down. If it's going to be a track bike, you'll end up replacing the plastics and exhaust, so I'd ask the dealer to fix the engine case as a part of the deal (they're only knocking like a grand off of retail for a demo, for christ sake). Otherwise, it seems like that would be a great bike to have (I researched them because I want one!).

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From experience, buy a bike that is already set up for the track and is easy to get parts for. When I saw set up, I mean something already in track plastics with track goodies (suspension, rear sets, etc)

I'd say if you're wanting a track bike, I'd go with neither of those options...but I definitely wouldn't go with the Aprilia.

Do you race?
-Cody
thanks for the input. I do not race, but very active during trackday events. But I do plan on racing within the next 2 years. I like the idea of building a track bike myself, that's half the fun :)

Is the Ape an APRC model? If so, I'd go that route, hands down. If it's going to be a track bike, you'll end up replacing the plastics and exhaust, so I'd ask the dealer to fix the engine case as a part of the deal (they're only knocking like a grand off of retail for a demo, for christ sake). Otherwise, it seems like that would be a great bike to have (I researched them because I want one!).
Yes the Ape is an aprc model. I've researched them too and really want one. But what worries me is running costs.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I can appreciate wanting to build the bike yourself...but while that might be half the fun, it's 2x the money ;)

If money isn't an object, that's different. I do all the work on my track bike, have put everything on myself...down to mounting and balancing my own wheels and tires...but my original suggestion still stands.

If you can find someone selling a package deal with a track bike, maybe some spares, etc, FINANCIALLY speaking, that is by far the best way to go.

The reason why I was asking if you race is because I've never heard of a track day organizing by bike class instead of speed/skill.

For me, half the fun of doing track days is hanging out / competing with friends. So if that's the case, I'd look at getting a liter bike. But again, one that was already tracked out. Use the money you save for more track days.
-Codys

·
Registered
352 Posts
I can appreciate wanting to build the bike yourself...but while that might be half the fun, it's 2x the money ;)

If money isn't an object, that's different. I do all the work on my track bike, have put everything on myself...down to mounting and balancing my own wheels and tires...but my original suggestion still stands.

If you can find someone selling a package deal with a track bike, maybe some spares, etc, FINANCIALLY speaking, that is by far the best way to go.

The reason why I was asking if you race is because I've never heard of a track day organizing by bike class instead of speed/skill.

For me, half the fun of doing track days is hanging out / competing with friends. So if that's the case, I'd look at getting a liter bike. But again, one that was already tracked out. Use the money you save for more track days.
-Codys
I couldn't agree more. I don't have a track bike (I'd love to, but finances aren't there) but if you're worried about operating costs, then try to find a bike as Cody suggested. Check WERA forums for used bikes, you can find pretty good deals on there, from what I've seen.

As for the Ape, again, if money isn't an issue, do it. I researched them a LOT earlier this year, and they're pure business. Parts are more expensive though, and you have to change the ECU (get a race spec code) if you want to change the exhaust. But the traction control offered in the APRC package seems to be second to none, and they seem to have the issues sorted with the ride by wire system. Maybe contact AF1 Racing in Texas to ask about costs of parts. My understanding is they are the authority on them.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Having recently bought a track day bike this topic has been revolving around my melon for weeks/months/years. 1st, I'd say look to the sanctioning body you'll be running with, ccs, wera, nesba, etc and understand what their specs are for class rules. Figure out what class would best suit you "at the limit" and take this into consideration. For example, if your running a real tight short track like Louden NH (my track) a vtwin liter bike IS NOT the way to go.. So, perhaps the circuit you'll be running lends itself better to a 600 inline than a 1000 v4 or another derivative of comparison... I suppose there is absolutely a massive amount of things to consider, I could go on for a while so my point is; really consider what it is you want to do, what bike best suits you, don't just say "yeah, I need a 1579cc euro mega rocket" if it's really beyond your skill level you defenatly don't want to hurt yourself or someone else, and you want to have fun!! The flip side would be not to cut yourself short, if your comfortable riding a liter bike and can extract that power and want to progress in the sport than let-ER-have-it. All that being said, I'd buy an affordable well sorted weapon, ride the wheels off it, decide what direction you want to go w racing and then build your ultra taylored ride.. Take a look here..
http://tracktalk.nesba.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rhythm thanks for the link, very helpful :)

exalted512 & cancan, I completely agree with you. Financially speaking, its wise to get an already used track prepped bike, and probably best to stick with the Japanese four.
Money is not an issue at the moment. I've given up the sport for that very reason in the past, but now its not an issue now. However, saving a few 1000 never hurts.
Its just one of those mind vs heart decisions, were my mind is pointing at something, and my heart is pointing at something completely different.

·
Registered
352 Posts
rhythm thanks for the link, very helpful :)

exalted512 & cancan, I completely agree with you. Financially speaking, its wise to get an already used track prepped bike, and probably best to stick with the Japanese four.
Money is not an issue at the moment. I've given up the sport for that very reason in the past, but now its not an issue now. However, saving a few 1000 never hurts.
Its just one of those mind vs heart decisions, were my mind is pointing at something, and my heart is pointing at something completely different.
I was there a few months ago, so I hear you loud and clear. For perspective's sake, I stopped renting and bought a house, instead of buying an APRC (I know, apples to oranges, but same idea).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts