Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all just got my first zx10 on an 08, loving it with loads of confidence in the front great bike.

Got two questions though:-

1. It doesn’t want to hold a constant speed, doesn’t matter if it’s 70 or 80 mph is is like a snatchy on off feeling on the throttle, speed drops I wind it on a mm more and then surges 8 mph faster and wont hold that speed any ideas how to fix that?

2. I want to fit a scotoiler I couldn’t for the life of me find a guide on the internet, It says use either the vacuum pipe with a T piece or straight into the throttle body there is a screw I can remove, well had the fuel tank off and side panels but due to time and incoming rain had to give up, anyone know where I can find either of these locations?

Edit: Since I fitted a race can and removed the exhaust valve thing the snatchy throttle is almost gone but still there.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Perhaps a picture of the bike to stir some response :nana

That is my new motor, tinted indicators to blend into the stalks, also a race can now goes where the 3 ton original pipe went, uprated brake lines, Kwak rim tape on the wheels, pic taken by a friend of a friend.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seems the 08 is a rare bike indeed no one knows if 80mph throttle surge is normal.

Been fun chatting to myself though, top community.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi all just got my first zx10 on an 08, loving it with loads of confidence in the front great bike.

Got two questions though:-

1. It doesn’t want to hold a constant speed, doesn’t matter if it’s 70 or 80 mph is is like a snatchy on off feeling on the throttle, speed drops I wind it on a mm more and then surges 8 mph faster and wont hold that speed any ideas how to fix that?

2. I want to fit a scotoiler I couldn’t for the life of me find a guide on the internet, It says use either the vacuum pipe with a T piece or straight into the throttle body there is a screw I can remove, well had the fuel tank off and side panels but due to time and incoming rain had to give up, anyone know where I can find either of these locations?

Edit: Since I fitted a race can and removed the exhaust valve thing the snatchy throttle is almost gone but still there.

Thanks in advance.
I have no problems with holding speed on mine, what exactly do you mean anyway? the throttle cable has a slight amount of play maybe yours has a bit too much and need to be readjusted?
The bike has so much power only the smallest twitch on the throttle will give you more then enough speed and/or acceleration if all is setup and adjusted right

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have no problems with holding speed on mine, what exactly do you mean anyway? the throttle cable has a slight amount of play maybe yours has a bit too much and need to be readjusted?
The bike has so much power only the smallest twitch on the throttle will give you more then enough speed and/or acceleration if all is setup and adjusted right
Throttle Play seems normal, when I try to hold 80mph the bike either slows down, or as try to give it just the slightest throttle, nothing happens then the bike leaps to 87-90mph, I roll back off just a mm or two on the throttle and it drops to sub 80mph.

I have to run in 4th gear on the motorway to hold 80mph steady and the problem stops but go for 5th or 6th and it's not ride-able at that speed.

Really confused.

Got the Scotoiler fitted, striped the bike found the gromit in the head ran the air pipe to the front of the bike, fitted the reservoir in the front fairing, works well really neat job If I do say so myself.

Just cannot work out this throttle problem.

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
FYI - lean surge

Stock carb'ed bikes suffer from this most notably after they've had their stock air filters & exhausts replaced with ones that flow more air.

There are two remedies:
1) Add a touch more fuel* to your midrange or otherwise restrict airflow through the engine by adding more or heavier oil to your re-useable air filter
2) have the throttle bodies synchronized, often referred to in Europe as balanced
* requires a programmable ECU fuel management system like that from Power Commander.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stock carb'ed bikes suffer from this most notably after they've had their stock air filters & exhausts replaced with ones that flow more air.

There are two remedies:
1) Add a touch more fuel* to your midrange or otherwise restrict airflow through the engine by adding more or heavier oil to your re-useable air filter
2) have the throttle bodies synchronized, often referred to in Europe as balanced
* requires a programmable ECU fuel management system like that from Power Commander.
It's fuel injected, just took it for a run I can only describe it as an on off switch feeling to the throttle. I slackened the throttle cable it is slightly better but too much free play now.

If I try and hold a constant speed say 80mph it just won't, it slows till I apply the slightest little more pressure to the throttle then it is like an on switch and the bike surges with acceleration.

Had LOADS of litre sports bikes I'm 100% this is not rider error on the throttle, summin ain't right.

·
Registered
82 Posts
One other thing comes to mind, check around your air box under the tank for a slight leak to the cylinders, that may have something to do with it. Maybe even an injector going bad? (not sure about that though...)
Does it even idle nice and even at about 1050 rpm?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One other thing comes to mind, check around your air box under the tank for a slight leak to the cylinders, that may have something to do with it. Maybe even an injector going bad? (not sure about that though...)
Does it even idle nice and even at about 1050 rpm?

Idle seems fine, I have a race can on now but it was actually worse with the stock can on, air filter is standard and I cleaned it out a few days ago.

Reset the Throttle cables as per the manual and adjusted from scratch again as per the manual and no better no worse.

Sunny morning I rode to work to test it out (62 Miles) I had my ear plugs in so I could actually feel more of the engine rather than hear which worked out better as It feels like it's running rough as hell there is like a high pitch vibration just before the surge, If I had to hazard a guess It 'felt' like the cylinders were fuel starved and then the surge comes.

I may have to just bite the bullet and let a Kwak deal take a look.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update:-

Kwak dealer said on the phone due to the low millage of the bike it could be gone off fuel in the system clogging the injectors and to try a tank of injector cleaner, so I did.

First tank not much difference, second tank ran like sh1t, felt buzzy and like a cylinder was missing.

On a fresh tank with no cleaner in it now but the weather is too bad for a run so having to wait.

On the last run it started to get better but the problems defiantly not eliminated yet although possibly better hard to say without trying a tank without injector cleaner in it.

Still think it's running lean there is so much popping and bangs from overrun when closing the throttle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts