Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Got a 02 zx6r here. After doing some riding, it's pretty clear that the bike surges and sputters when I maintain a constant throttle. Also, when opening throttle all the way, the power seems to disappear. However, it idles just fine.

Have already cleaned the carbs, (when I took them out, they were REALLY clean anyways, weird) Next I will check the spark plugs, petcock, and fuel filter. Also need to double check turn outs on the carb needle. If that doesn't yield anything I guess I need to buy some vacuum gauges. Could carb synch be causing this? Any other things I should check just holler. Will post what I find.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Sounds like my bike, needed a new fuel filter.

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
What elevation in CO are you at or do you expect to ride at? What you're describing isn't so unusual. The surging can be from two things:

1) lean surge, if the carbs are stock and/or
2) throttle bodies out of synchronization from each other. In which case, you'll need to buy a good quality vacuum synchronization tool, like a CarbTune Pro 4 and get them pulling straight.

As for the lack of power I think your location and CCs answers that question. Your bike was jetted for sea-level operation. Kawi recommends dropping the main jet 8% for operation above 4,000 AMSL. We'll need more information about your bike's mods and your AMSL base elevation before we can help you more, but basically, if you're looking for more power, you'll need to jet leaner as recommended. That'll put the AFR back into equilibrium. Don't expect the wheel to come off the ground like you'll find 6R guys doing at Daytona, just accept a power lose due to the lack of atmospheric pressure.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will check all of this, thanks much for the input.

e1_Zx-9r - good points. The intake/carbs/engine/exhaust is all stock. Riding elevation is 5280. Will be getting the carbs synched soon. Have looked for how to fix a lean surge, but haven't come up with anything too clear. Can you provide a little insight?

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
... Can you provide a little insight?
Wow. 5,280.' You're in the no air zone like me. :runaway

The lean surge will mostly, if not completely, be corrected by the sync process, but shimming the jet needle <== link || will add that extra bit of fueling to finish it off. The process will be the same for your 02 zx-6. It would be my recommendation to set the pilot air screws evenly prior to the synchronization, otherwise if you do them later, you'll need to synch again.

If you do the shim, be aware that the added mid-range fuel will adversely affect the upper-end, which it would be safe to assume is already getting too much fuel. Not a big deal, but you'll need to experiment with getting the mains right if you like how the bike runs with the shims in.

For more information, Google Factory Pro CV carb tuning procedure (pink Web page). It's the CV carb tuning bible.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts