Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me. My bike will crank but not start. I am told it is a throttle position sensor not allowing it to spark by my friend but cannot locate this part in the repair manual. Anyone have any experience with this issue?

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
There is no TPS on these bikes, its carbed.

Your problem is likely due to electrical issues, since these things are a huge pain in the ass.

Take the tank off, key in and on, and then check the voltage of the grey wire (just probe into the connector). If it is anything other than 6 volts, there is your problem. There is a resistor in the ignition - and no you can't just bypass it.

If that is bad, it will crank and crank and crank all day long but never start. Sometimes just turning the key back off and then on again clears it up. Mine does that.

Either way, the harness on these bikes sucks. You may also find that the brown and white wires in the ignition harness are fried. I opted to replace that whole connector with a much heavier one, but you can also just solder those wires together and bypass the connector.

That kind of sucks as an option though.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Doesn't have one...

Easiest is to check the grey wire at the CDI or frame harness for 6 volts, key-on. Back probe the wire, do not unplug it.

The grey wire comes from the ignition switch and goes to he CDI. It is basically an anti theft prevention. Should read around 6 volts.

Josh

Josh

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok thanks ill try that. and yea I already had to solder the ignition wires for some reason, I never really found the source of the problem but I know I did that last summer. Where is the cdi located?

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
right side of the tail under the plastic.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Pull a plug to see if you have spark. If that is ok, then check to see if your battery has at least 12.8 volts. If that is ok, then you should have enough juice to give you a little over 6 volts on the grey wire from the ignition switch.

Btw, even if your bike had TPS like the carbed zx-6r (1998-02) and the zzr600, the motor would still run regardless if they worked or not. I have a complete zx6r wire harness with the TPS and fuel cut-off valves disconnected on a zx7r and I have no problems.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Both of my 7's had they dreaded gray wire issue.
And both of the gray wires came unsoldered in the ignition itself.
If your ignition has never been taken apart then you will have to remove the factory rivets. ( replace with regular bolts, 4mm or 6mm , cant remember exactly. )
Once you open the bottom of the ignition you can simply remove the internals ( remember the order ) and check the board to see if the gray wire has come undone. If it has just resolder it.

Both of my bikes were fine after that was done to them. ( 4 years ago )

Paul

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
2 summers ago I had a no start issue... Figured it was the grey wire and it turned out my ignition switch was so gummed up inside from the old grease and junk it was no longer making good contact.

Cleaned that up and all is well.

Josh

1 - 8 of 8 Posts