Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding my 2006 636 today on the high way cruising at around 70, when about 20-30 minutes in my throttle started cutting out. It got to the point where I couldn't get over 35-40 mph. I pulled over and shut it off, started it back up and nothing changed. i waited about half and hour and it went back back to normal for about 20 minutes and went back to cutting out. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
And any filters if thee are any.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Your ignition coils may be on there way out... If you think about it, higher engine load creates higher cylinder head pressure. In a circuit, the hotter the temp the higher the resistance overall. After 20-30 minutes of riding your coils have to be at or near peak operating temp whatever that may be. If you've ever tested spark plugs in a pressure chamber like they do in general aviation, you will have seen that the spark changes with increased pressure.

Another GA lesson is that planes like the piper seneca that have turbo's, also have pressurized magnetos. The reason for that is at high altitudes with lower air pressure, the resistance in the ambient air is much less and causes arching in random directions which will destroy a magneto. The increased pressure of a cylinder head will cause the exact opposite condition.

Having said all of that, with a hot coil pack on its way out, a higher than normal resistance overall creating a weaker spar, add that to a high pressure environment of a cylinder under heavy load. That will definately cause misfiring/stumbling at a certain engine load, and will disappear once the temp comes back down.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts