Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my Blue ZX14 yesterday and got the usual advice from the dealer about keeping it under 5K RPM for the first 600 miles. The manual actually says under 4K RPM. I've always pretty much followed the break-in procedure on new bikes and have never had a problem (except that *(#$&#)* BMW R1150 RT, which NEVER quit using a quart every 800 miles).

Any thoughts from long-time Ninja owners?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've been sorta bad. I have been following the 4000 rpm mark for the most part, but have run it up to 6000rpm's a few times... Now I'm above 500mi and I've had the bike to 7000 twice... not too bad. I have been following the break-in pretty well otherwise. Other than drag racing, I don't know what to do with the rest of that powerband anyway.

As I said in my riding impression, I think that the break-in is more for the rider than the bike anyway :wink

Does yours run hot in traffic?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Harrison. That's about what I thought. Some people have told me to ride like I stole it, but A) that's kinda hard to do on a bike this powerful when you live in an urban area, and B)I haven't even changed out the break-in oil yet, so I think I'll be fairly conservative.

As for running hot, I haven't seen that yet. I get to three bars and that's about it, but then it's only been about 60 around here...

·
Registered
54 Posts
CharlieR: Please post up your ride impressions when you get some miles under your belt. What kind of bike(s) did you own before? Where do you ride around the bay area? I'm Jealous of your locale there is some PERFECT rides to the north of you. Point Reyes comes to mind... Enjoy!

·
Registered
6 Posts
CharlieR said:
I just picked up my Blue ZX14 yesterday and got the usual advice from the dealer about keeping it under 5K RPM for the first 600 miles. The manual actually says under 4K RPM. I've always pretty much followed the break-in procedure on new bikes and have never had a problem (except that *(#$&#)* BMW R1150 RT, which NEVER quit using a quart every 800 miles).

Any thoughts from long-time Ninja owners?
Trying to keep it uner 4,000 is tough and I have hit 6 a few time but I am upto 450 miles now. Wont be long before I get the oil changed then......

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have had the ebony monster for a little over a week and I am having a hard time following break in proceedures too. But I 've seen what not properly breaking in an engine can do to bike. $$$ down the drain when he to replace the engine. The dealer gave me the book lecture and then told me it was okay to open her up once or twice. I've never been launched to 120 mph that quick. Wow!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts