Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is gotta be what the ZX12 was modeled after:

Man this sumbitch has got some air intake.

·
Registered
39 Posts
that's an F-111, if my memory serves me. I haven't really payed attention to aircraft in a while.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
Yeah ..... but it's a trike!

*wonder why it was buried*

·
Registered
8 Posts
That my friends is a Mig 25 not anything american
I'm thinking that the photo must be from Afganistan the soviets
where there for a long time ( got there ass kicked to )

·
Registered
199 Posts
I think it is a Mig that Sadaam had buried trying to hide it from us a few years ago.

·
Registered
117 Posts
It is an Iraqi MiG 25 Foxbat B

This is still the worlds fastest combat fighter. The F-15 Eagle was designed because of rumors about this fighter coming out of the Soviet Union. Eventually a Soviet pilot defected with one to Japan and we found out yes they are fast but not as fast as we thought and given its range, radar etc not as much of a threat as we thought.

The MiG-25 was in service with the Iraqi Air Force during the Iran-Iraq War, but its combat results are unclear.

During the 1991 Gulf War, two MiG-25s were shot down by U.S. Air Force F-15Cs. After the war in 1992, a U.S. F-16 downed a MiG-25 that violated the no-fly zone in southern Iraq.

US military officials initially claimed that no American aircraft was lost in air-to-air combat during the war. However, later investigations indicated that a US Navy F/A-18 piloted by LCDR Speicher was shot down by an air-to-air missile on the first night of the war.[3] The kill was reportedly made with a R-40DT missile fired from a MiG-25PDS flown by Lt. Zuhair Dawood of the 84th squadron of the IrAF.[4]

In another incident, an Iraqi Foxbat-E, after eluding eight USAF F-15s, fired three missiles at EF-111 electronic warfare aircraft, forcing them to abort their mission.[5] This may have led to the later loss of an F-15 to surface-to-air missiles, due to the lack of electronic jamming.

In yet another incident, two MiG-25s approached a pair of F-15s, fired missiles (which were evaded by the F-15s), and then outran the American fighters. Two more F-15s joined the pursuit, and a total of ten air-to-air missiles were fired at the Foxbats, though none could reach them.[6]

According to the same sources, at least one F-111 was also forced to abort its mission by a Foxbat on the first 24 hours of hostilities, during an air raid over Tikrit.[7]

On December 23, 2002, an Iraqi MiG-25 shot down a U.S. Air Force unmanned MQ-1 Predator drone, which was performing armed reconnaissance over Iraq. This was the first time in history that an aircraft and an unmanned drone had engaged in combat. Predators had been armed with AIM-92 Stinger air-to-air missiles, and were being used to "bait" Iraqi fighter planes, then run. In this incident, the Predator did not run, but instead fired one of the Stingers, which missed, while the MiG's missile did not. [8]

No Iraqi aircraft were used in the 2003 invasion, with most hidden or destroyed on the ground. In August 2003, several dozen Iraqi aircraft were discovered buried in the sand. That included two MiG-25s which were carted off and sent to WPAFB's Foreign Technology Division using a C-5B Galaxy. In December 2006, it was announced that one MiG-25 was being donated to the National Museum of the United States Air Force at Dayton, Ohio.

·
Registered
12 Posts
and MiG or not...Id rather have that than my zx-6r any day of the week.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts