Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok I have been toying with the idea of putting a newer suspension on my H model 7. The problem was finding a bearing that would not only fit the steering head, but the newer larger diameter triple tree as well. Well I think I have found the solution.

The newer triples use a 35mm inner by 55mm outer, by 14mm thickness bearing. Our older triples use two different bearings.

The upper is 25mm inner by 47mm outer, by 15mm thickness and
26mm x 55mm x 14mm.

Now if I did my research right, we can use a standard 6807 roller bearing stacked two high for the top, and SKF 51107 single directional thrust ball bearing for the lower. The measurement for the lower 51107 is 35mm x 55mm x 12mm so worst case two stacked will have to be used or at least a couple of shims to equal 4mm to take up the space. I'll order the bearings and get to work and post pics along the way with progress to let you all know if it works or not.

Total cost for bearings are roughly $50 plus the cost of the new front end. I'll keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Or you could buy a set of Ohlins FGR100's and a set of Attack Adjustable Super Bike tripples....

Instead of all the headache of trying to get bearings and races to match just spend the money!!!

Total Cost.... $11,000

Not bad :evil

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HAHAHAHA not.........
Joe yes a tapered roller bearing would be ideal, however the thrust bearing and ball bearings appear to control x, y, and z movements. So I'm gonna go with that.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I ordered the bearings and forks last night so as soon as they show up, I'll get to work to see how it all works out.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not sure what you mean with taking video to see a difference, but I will definitely post pics of the swap.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK guys got some of the parts in today.

Here's the whole setup so far.

And the upper bearings.

You can see how they fit on the triple.

And a little off topic but here's my bike at night.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
How are you going to set the preload?

Josh

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well I am still waiting on the bottom bearing to show up but it basically looks like this.

The on top of that will be a 4mm spacer since this bearing is only 12mm and 16mm is needed. I am also going to use a center spacer like in our wheels, to be able to set the preload. Assuming I have to set preload at all with this bearing setup.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Soooo... what prevents the steering from falling out the bottom? Just little plastic top collar?

I can see the bottom bearing working, it looks similar to the ZX10 setup, but I'm not sure the top bearing will work.

The preload sets the up/down and for/aft movement of the steering stem. The sealed bearings are likely ok for for/aft, but up/down is going to be a problem. That's why motorycles and most bicycles use opposing tapered bearings.

To use sealed bearings you'll need to mimic the threadless headset style found on modern bicycles, especially mountain bikes.

Josh

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually what will stop the up down movement, is the bearing nut. Also the lip on my steering head should keep the bearings in check. I'll figure out the details when I start putting it together.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Hmmm... Well look up the "threadless" headset schematic for mountain bikes and you'll see what I mean.

Also the special expanding star they use to set preload... It's pretty trick.

Josh

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I came across some good luck for me tonight. A friend of mine is moving across the state, and he is leaving his bandit for me to fix. Well he said I can ride it while he's gone. So I get to work on the 7 and get my cams installed and ready to go. Also the front end work finished.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK got all the parts together today and went to put on my new front end. Well it was an epic fail. The steering stem is about 16mm too short, the steering stops are way off, and I didn't have the right axle wheel, or speedo drive. It did look sexy though. My other option is I have a machine shop down the road from me, that said they could press my old steering stem out and put it in the new triple. This would allow me to use my stock bearings and hardware. So I will get another lower H model triple and have the shop swap stems. Then try it again.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
When pressing out the stems they come out thru the bottom... FYI

Josh

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes I know. I need to get shims made though to use the smaller H model stem with the larger K model triple.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts