Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

There are TWO oil drain plugs on a ZX-11

26K views 39 replies 26 participants last post by  Bobflyer 
#1 ·
I am posting this because it seems to be unknown to many ZX-11 owners. When you change the engine oil, there are TWO oil plugs to drain it plus the oil filter. Picture below hilights the two plugs.

See less See more
#2 ·
Oh and BTW, this is also true (2 oil plugs) for every Kawasaki engine based on the original 1984 Ninja 900. Among others, this include 1984-1986 Ninja 900, Eliminator 900/1000, 1986-87 Ninja 1000R, 1986-2005 Concours, 1988-1990 ZX-10, 1990-2001 ZX-11 and 2002-2005 ZZ-R1200.

#6 ·
there is about a half a quart of oil over the front drain plug. It needs to be removed with every O/C. You may have to remove the 2 lower screws on the right side fairing lower to get to the front, but it well worth the hassle
Jay

#13 ·
YESSIR! I spent a couple years scratching my head before I figured that out on my 1000R's.

Never could understand why they took like 1/2 quart less than they should have every time I changed the oil.

On my first bike, I thought maybe somebody had swapped motors, and put a ZX 900 motor in (nope).

Also, always worthy of repeating is that all you guys want to make double sure on the ZX11's, (as well as the early ZX10's and 1000R's) to fill and run the oil level right to the top of the sight glass. Use the search function if you need more info on rod bearing problems associated with oil starvation.

#14 ·
just changed my oil and it reminded me of this so i figured i would bump it just in case someone that has one of these motors will be aware if they dont already know

#17 ·
I would NOT leave it over full. If you're anal about changing oil (every 1500-2500 miles) then a half quart of old probably won't hurt too much. If you tend to put off changes, then I don't know. If it were me, I'd get the level right and then run it 2K. Depends on age and condition of what you pulled out.

#18 ·
Oil line connections for ZX11 C1

Can you offer any guidance for the oil lines that connect to the pan? I recently replaced my pan and did not make a drawing of the lines and where they go. The oil line coming in from the head actually uses a 14X20X10 gasket that leaks when in place, so I am afraid that I have missed something.

#32 ·
Can you offer any guidance for the oil lines that connect to the pan? I recently replaced my pan and did not make a drawing of the lines and where they go. The oil line coming in from the head actually uses a 14X20X10 gasket that leaks when in place, so I am afraid that I have missed something.
The routing is pretty self explanatory. If you are still in the dark, just go out to any online Kawasaki dealer site and look @ their parts fiche...

If I can replace my lines and figure it out, you can too.... I bit the bullet and bought all new copper gaskets when I did mine.

#22 ·
I've changed oil several times now and I never knew about the second drain plug. It's about due for another change, (I've already bought the new filter) and I'll be sure to remove both plugs. I've also developed an oil leak on the front of the engine somewhere and I need to hunt that leak down. It's right near the two oil lines on the front of the engine and drips on to the header pipes. Oh, just remembered I can't get a socket in there because the header pipes are in the way. Oh well, I'll figure out a way.

#23 · (Edited)
the second drain plug is just gallerys that the oil will not drain into the sump area where the oil pickup is....when the motor is not running.

you dont have to remove it in my opinion....i dont....this oil flows through sump and motor when running....i just make sure my sight glass is good after oil change....remember...even when after a ride,and you check your oil 15min later,theres still oil stuck up in these gallerys....thats not in the sump,therefore not adding to the "total" oil volume in the motor

i never measure how much oil i put in after an oil change....well not exact,i know im going to use most of the gallon.im going to go by the top of the oil window anyways....so it doesnt matter about this little bit of "extra oil"....its also there when you check your oil level "inbetween oil changes"......"but you still add oil to the window,even though this oil around second drain plug, is not contributing to the volume".

now if you want to change "every bit" of oil in the motor....which makes sence ofcourse,and is the absolute best thing to do....im changing 90%-95% of my oil...lol : ) good enough for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.