Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Eurosport

In what seems to be the final part of the Max Biaggi saga, the Roman Emperor has confirmed his divorce with MotoGP, blaming Honda for his inability to find a Grand Prix seat for next seat, and has now signed a deal to ride a third Corona-backed Suzuki in next year's World Superbike Championship.

So, after weeks, even months of negotiations, Max Biaggi is to quit MotoGP and join fellow MotoGP refugees Troy Bayliss, Alex Barros, Ruben Xaus and Franc Battaini in World Superbikes, but on the even of signing with Corona Suzuki, the Emperor had one last swipe at former employers Honda.

"As all of you already know I've have been put in this terrible situation by Honda and therefore I won't participate at the 2006 MotoGP Championship," he told his official website, before adding that a book containing many home truths will be released shortly.

"As for Superbikes, I have always appreciated this category, I also have few friends in there and they have all my respect," he added. "So this opportunity is a very good one."

At the time, a deal with Suzuki hadn't been signed, but on Wednesday, the 34-year old is reported to have put pen to paper to ride a third Suzuki GSXR1000 prepared by reignning champions Team Alstare Suzuki Corona.

The bike appeared in the provisional 2006 World Superbike entry list issued by the sports governing body, the FIM, on Wednesday, but it is thought that Biaggi will carry the number 30 as former MotoGP rider Norick Abe (Yamaha) has already claimed the No3.

Biaggi's first taste of the 1000cc Suzuki GSXR1000 will come during a four-day test at Phillip Island, Australia, next week (17-20), before heading to the Losail circuit in Qatar for a two-day test ahead of the opening round on the same circuit on February 25th.

·
Registered
57 Posts
World supers is a class based on highly modified production machinery. Moto GP is prototype racing. The rules don't allow the use of any production parts. They are differnent organizations as well, actually in competition with each other. The interesting thing is that this year the popularity pendulum may swing back to the supers for the first time in a while.

·
Registered
57 Posts
beansbaxter said:
When was the last time World Superbike eclipsed MotoGP in popularity??
In the states it had to have been the year of the Edwards comeback versus Bayliss. I still think race one of the final round is in the top three races of my time.

·
Presidenté of Whoring
21,426 Posts
Wow. I know for a fact when I posted, it was in the Tshirt thread... :headscratch

Ended up here somehow

1 - 8 of 8 Posts