Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, they are here. But as one of the bunch that scratches on my OEM shield I think I will have to forego the larger one even at the $129.00 price reported to me by my dealer. I'll get first choice of every accessory that comes in because..I bought the first GTR in my area.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I pick my GTR up on Saturday morning. I was in the shop last week checking it out as they have just built it out of the crate and the screen was already scratched so I told them to change the screen before I pick the bike up. Wierd how these screens scratch so easily. If the new taller screen is made from the same process then it definately will not be on my shopping list. :thefinger

·
Registered
451 Posts
Is the finish the same as the standard OEM. ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you mean scratches, it doesn't have any. But last year I spoiled my zzr1400 screen with a rough sponge which was made for glass (car wind screen).

·
Registered
40 Posts
There seems to be some sort of a coating on the factory screen. I noticed it with the morning sun shining through it. Has kind of a dull, streaky, oily look and full of scratches. I tried spray on glass cleaner and it didn't take it off. So I used some Meguires plastic cleaner (#17 I think) the stuff they use on aircraft plex. and it took off the coating and the scratches were gone.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Timo, it would be nice to hear some of your feedback when you have had time to evaluate the new taller screen. Especially your comments on the durability of the surface.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The taller screen is better. However, I have noticed that drivers who are more experienced with tourer bikes than me, emphasize different things. For me, direct wind force is not a problem (I have had zzr1400, Hayabusa, ZX12R, Blackbird, ...) but turbulance is. GTR screens (both of them) have too much turbulance. The bigger is better, but ...

I don't have any knowledge of the durability of the surface, yet. I am extremely careful when washing the screen (soap, soft clean sponge,..).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi there, the taller screen is better when you're smaller then 1.80 m. I have one and now it's for sale. When it has been sold I going to purchase a Cee baileys screen. I had such a cee baileys sreen on my BMW R1100rt and the screen was great.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I installed the Cee Bailey Euro Cut (+5 / +3) today and it's much better than stock. Full down is very nice with clean airflow to the helmet and a nice pocket below. Full up I can hear the engine mechanicals - nice and quiet. Slight turbulence over 80 MPH, but nothing like stock. Way better shield. The finish looks flawless. Very pleased!

·
Registered
104 Posts
The taller screen is better. However, I have noticed that drivers who are more experienced with tourer bikes than me, emphasize different things. For me, direct wind force is not a problem (I have had zzr1400, Hayabusa, ZX12R, Blackbird, ...) but turbulance is. GTR screens (both of them) have too much turbulance. The bigger is better, but ...

I don't have any knowledge of the durability of the surface, yet. I am extremely careful when washing the screen (soap, soft clean sponge,..).
I agree totally - protection is not the real issue FOR ME but turbulance is. I've fitted the Cilsci +4.5 screen which helps when it's raised halfway up. Fully rasied it's very quite but I'm not sure I'm happy through the screen. It does take some getting use to when riding at SPEED. I thought about fitting a really low screen as per a sports bike but I haven't got round to that yet as it would invilve cutting down an existing screen.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I agree totally - protection is not the real issue FOR ME but turbulance is. I've fitted the Cilsci +4.5 screen which helps when it's raised halfway up. Fully rasied it's very quite but I'm not sure I'm happy through the screen. It does take some getting use to when riding at SPEED. I thought about fitting a really low screen as per a sports bike but I haven't got round to that yet as it would invilve cutting down an existing screen.
GarryG, I was thinking that this is probably at the very least a two windscreen bike. One lower than stock and one taller stock but both of better quality like the Cee Baileys. I noticed quickly how much cooling air flow gets to the rider when the screen is in the full down position. Conversely, when the screen is in the highest position and when riding in the latest Florida 100+ degree weather,(115 heat index), the engine heat multiplied by the enviromental heat can come up as high as waist high on the rider.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have desided to design and cut a new one from the original (smaller). I have the taller, anyway.

First: I will cut some 30 mm off and do some roundings (correct word? [I am from Finland!]) from upper corners.
Second: do some driving, back to 1st step....:banghead

Any suggestions? :eek:hno

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have desided to design and cut a new one from the original (smaller). I have the taller, anyway.

First: I will cut some 30 mm off and do some roundings (correct word? [I am from Finland!]) from upper corners.
Second: do some driving, back to 1st step....:banghead

Any suggestions? :eek:hno
If you have the tools why not reduce the screen in 75mm stages and test ride until you find an accpetable level of turbulance. I think it might need a good 150mm off. It think it would prove really useful info for a number of us with the same problem.

·
Registered
104 Posts
GarryG, I was thinking that this is probably at the very least a two windscreen bike. One lower than stock and one taller stock but both of better quality like the Cee Baileys. I noticed quickly how much cooling air flow gets to the rider when the screen is in the full down position. Conversely, when the screen is in the highest position and when riding in the latest Florida 100+ degree weather,(115 heat index), the engine heat multiplied by the enviromental heat can come up as high as waist high on the rider.
I think you're right. All the suppliers concentrate on larger touring screens, not the shorter, less turbulant, cooler screens. TimoFin will hopefully be cutting down his existing standard screen to try lower options. Once the best height has been identified I know Mark from Calsci will suply screens cut to the chosen height or we could cut-down our standard screens.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've not even ridden a GTR yet but am trying one next week.

But I find that taller screens are normally worse than the OE,certainly for me at 6'1" tall.

For eg,on my BMW GSA1200,I tried the screen on highest setting and the turbulence was awful around my head,so I now have it on mid setting.

I get wind blast on my chest,but this is preferable to buffeting from disturbed air,and also it stop lower back pain that develops if you sit in calm air.

Can anybody of a similar height comment on their findings,as I'm trying a GTR hopefully next week with a view to getting one at some point in the near future.

Thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts