Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone else with this machine noticed how dead it is from off idle to around 9k, then how it almost feels like you cut the throttle after about 14-14.5k, even though its still wide open? Or is this just mine? It seems like it takes it forever to start making power, but then it seems to drop off sharp when its still about 1,500-2,000rpm away from its 16,500rpm redline. I mean its like it just shuts off almost. Will exhaust and intake mods, and maybe a power commander fix this? How much different as far as power production is this engine from the 2005 636cc mill? That motor pulled very well all the way thru the powerband, or it seemed to when I owned one.

I wouldn't really be this concerned with a power issue on a bike, but this one is pretty profound and kind of annoying, and it just seems to have a really erratic powerband. Plus I got my arse handed to my by my good friend who has a 2006 Yamaha R6. And I mean HANDED TO ME. We ran from a dead stop and from a 8k rpm 1st gear roll, and both times that darn R6 just pulled away like no other. Now this is no stock R6, but I didnt think the mods would make that big of a difference... I suppose I was wrong. The mods to the R6 are as follows: 2 Bros slip on, custom Y pipe (cat delete), and a race-spec air filter. What would the ZX gain from getting rid of the big tird lookin thing in the exhaust under the engine, swapping in a 2 bros slip on, and replacing the air filter? Just by doing the slip on, 2 Bros claims an 11 pound weight reduction which will also help. Any other ideas guys? Thanks!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Yes, the ZX6R is a little slow to respond at low rpm, and the loss of power at the top end is due to the American spec mapping of the exhaust valve which start to close the valve at high rpm.

There are two ways of overcoming this:-

1. There is a jumper mod where there are two wires that can be bridged at the connector under the rear seat, resetting the valve map to european spec.

2. Disconnect the cables at the exhaust valve (just before the rear "muffler"-box)

We here in SA get the European spec, but the valve still slightly closes at high throttle opening (sound dampening idea), but I have disconnected mine as well as a slight mod to the rear "muffler", and mine is running hard right up to the cut-out at 16500rpm

Read through all the threads on exhausts on this forum and you will get the idea

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well having the European spec I'm not anticipating any drop off at the top end (still running in so haven't got near it yet).

As for pulling away. The only problem I've noticed is that it takes a few meters to get going after which it seems fine. That initial hesitation can get a little worrying though especially if you've got traffic bearing down on you. It's sort of like 'move, nothing, nothing, go'.

Once I've ran it in I'll just use it like any other bike I've ridden with a tall first gear. Shed load of revs and control it all on the clutch. It's a sports 600 so it's always going to be gutless low down. Plus don't forget that in tests it's proved itself to be the heaviest, least powered and slowest of the current 600 sports crop.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Hey tmonkey, the first other guy on the forum I read also with ORANGE !!!

Yes, with pullaway, give it a load of revs and slip the clutch, then it goes alright!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I did away with the stock exhaust, except for the header... Put on a Two Brothers Racing M5 slip on, and fabbed up a cat-delete pipe for under the bike. The bike definitely makes its presence known now. As for power, I can tell a definite increase in power up top since there is no longer an exhaust valve that closes and restricts flow. And I am certainly not going to take this defeat from a Yamaha lying down... A Power Commander, BMC air filter, and possibly an ignition module are coming soon. Hehe :) Not a word is being said to the owner of the yamaha, however... The only thing he's going to know about is the exhaust. I hope all this modification helps!

·
Registered
78 Posts
In it's stock form it is one of the weakest motors out their but what it lack in power it makes up in handling.

This is one of the best out of the box track day bikes around.

A full system, PCIII with a custom map and a -1 +2 really helps.

·
Registered
191 Posts
07zxrider, PLEASE race him again and let us know what happens.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With just the exhaust mods, I gained a considerable amount of power. However, The yamaha still pulls me, but not near as hard as before. The guy said the air filter made a pretty big difference for him, so I figure with the same kind of filter he has, and a PCIII, I should be able to walk away from him.

·
Registered
101 Posts
With just the exhaust mods, I gained a considerable amount of power. However, The yamaha still pulls me, but not near as hard as before. The guy said the air filter made a pretty big difference for him, so I figure with the same kind of filter he has, and a PCIII, I should be able to walk away from him.
Not sure about walk away from him. Engine wise the '06 R6 is stronger then the '07 ZX6R (it's the same engine as the '07 which has beaten the 6R in all the tests).

If you do the exact same mods that your mate has done to his R6 then it should be pretty close and will probably come down to the rider or who twists the throttle that split second earlier. At least the demon handling of the 6R should give you the overall advantage from A to B.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well he doesnt have a Power Commander, so I figure me having one and him not having one would give me just enough of an edge.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well he doesnt have a Power Commander, so I figure me having one and him not having one would give me just enough of an edge.
That could do the trick! I know the standard R6 has even less grunt low down then the 6R so from a standing start you should have the edge. The 8k roll on may be different though as the Power Commander will only smooth things out and the R6 is pretty strong up top. I suppose it depends how much his tweaks have upset the power curve.

Incidentally are you going to be using an 'off the shelf' map or are you going to get it custom set up on the dyno? If you get the chance I'd certainly recommend the second option as every machine is slightly different.

·
Registered
191 Posts
we gotta find a way to beat this R6 fellas,lol.. 07ZXRider you have a forum for a pit crew!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks :) You guys call me Mark... Its a lot less formal that way... Haha

·
Registered
159 Posts
let the engine breath get a k&n air filter and you got an exhaust already now you need a pwr commander map it out..lets see +2 sprocket in the back ,quick throtle mod, jump wire mod....you should get a couple of hp from that..aw yeah loose weight if your a fat ass 220 and his a skinny 120 pnd guy hell get you..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts