Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys-- I'm sure you all have heard that DREADED world famous motorcycle saying. As a matter of fact I'm sure you'll be able to finish it before you read it all.. You all know the saying:squint "There are only 2 types of bike riders; those who have fallen and those who are going to fall.." :banghead (Everytime I say that it leave a bad taste in my mouth) Anyways I just wanted to hear some of your fall stories that maybe I could LEARN from; and was wondering if by any chance there is anyone who has ridden for years without taking a plunge??

·
Registered
12 Posts
Note, this is nothing to be proud of but rather a solemn (and glad) reminder that I'm still fortunate enough to ride and learn from my mistakes =P

Most of the bike falls can be attested to single rider accidents, especially new guys wanting to test their limits and going just a tad too far. I know, because I fell in that category initially.

I was going on a canyon run by myself (mistake number #1) and found myself on a nice left turn; I sped just a tad too fast and saw guard rail and a dirt path. I braked and ran into the dirt and of course, side skirt. Got out with a pretty bad scraped left knee and a broken foot pedal; rode back down the canyon crying like a girl. =)

Second fall was almost exactly like the first one, except that I was on a higher canyon by myself (mistake #1 again, I was really stubborn back then). Came upon another left turn (really tight) and once again, I was too fast to take the corner. I saw cliff vs. dirt and took the dirt instead; left knee scraped badly again, and this time a chunk fell off a left fairing. Went down the canyon but didn't cry this time (rather praying to Jesus for saving my ass twice.)

You can google about bike accidents and it actually brings up many helpful articles on bike accidents, preventive techniques and other useful tidbits.

NS.

"Ohhh, I'm going to be fired just because I'm dangerous and unqualified!" Homer Simpson

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Most of the bike falls can be attested to single rider accidents, especially new guys wanting to test their limits and going just a tad too far. [/I]

Okay,, not to get into a heated debate and take away from the reason for this thread, but I have to disagree with your wording here. "Most"? You can't really be serious, can you?

We had a fatality here where I live this morning. A 30 year old guy on Suzuki GS750 heading to work at 7:45 am, driving down a main street in town, and an old man in a minivan drives straight out of a hair salon parking lot after dropping his wife off, and the bike had nowhere to go. T-boned the van, and pronounced dead. (wearing full gear)

12 years ago, I was coming back from a night away, 3pm in the afternoon, on the highway... I had just pulled into the left hand lane to allow a car to merge from an on-ramp. As I passed him, I checked my mirror, and did a shoulder check to ensure I had room to move over again... however, I was on a slight bend, and just cresting a small incline in the highway... just on the other side of that was an 4x4 post, measure 8.5 feet across my lane, which had come off of a tractor trailer (as some wedge bricking materials on the front leg pillars but don't strap them in). Nowhere to go and flipped the bike.

A friend of mine 2 weeks ago was driving down the expressway, and a wheel chock came off a truck and he smoked his front tired, caliper, rim etc... managed to keep it upright, but a ton of damage.

I admit there are stupid riders out there... we all know it. But you can't honestly say "Most" are caused by that... there are more stupid drivers in cars that cause bike accidents, and debris from other cars that cause accidents than you can imagine.

There are more than enough people out there trying to pin every accident on the bike rider... we shouldn't be blaming each other.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
582 Posts
NoobSpidy and Swoosh. A very good summarisation. Out in traffic I tend to have eyeballs everywhere. I have a couple of messages engraved on the inside of my head. "Dont't dump the bike" - costs money. "You gotta ride home". Most of my adventures have been caused by wildlife and others.
gammac

·
Registered
183 Posts
I started riding almost 3 years ago this saturday and both of my accidents were cause by irresponsible people. The first one was a 17 year old girl on her cell phone pulled into my lane from an alley way here in town and t-boned the F*%K out of my front end....luckily i hit the front end of her car and went sailing over the hood(if i hadn't hit the front end my body would of slammed into the door of her car) and slid 30 more feet ....everyone at the scene thought i was dead but i was wearing my helmet and my jacket and was knocked un-concious by the landing...i broke my kneck,my wrist in two places from bracing from the impact, and shattered my right shoulder blade....i was in rehab for almsot 8 months

Unfourtenly there is nothing we riders can do about situations like that, it is and or was in no way my fault and i had no control over the situation. Irresponisble drivers are gonna stay on the road regardless and all we can do is keep on the lookout for potentially dangerous and fatal situations....and the worse part about my first accident is that the girl only got a 200 dollar fine by the state and 2 points on ehr license...

Thank god for full insurance cause they sued her for everything she had....i gurantee she wont ever use her cell i nthe car again!

·
Registered
37 Posts
^^
How fast were you going?

And yes, she should have gone into jail at least one week.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've had more accidents then I can poke a stick at, everything from hitting trees to running into barb wire fences. But I started with dirt bikes, and do a lot of track time.
On public roads I've got to say that I'm way nervous around cars. Out of my 10 years of riding on public roads I've never had a crash with another car ( avoided many) I had one crash about two years ago which broke my knee cap in two and totaled the rear of my bike and it was due to cold, old tyres (and excess ecceleration)

My advice is to keep your bike in good order, always check tyres, bolts, brakes, have suspension properly set up, always remember out/ in/ out, slow in, fast out (within reason) if you must ride fast on the street, ride your own bike (nothing worst than a rider riding out of his limits to keep up with the guy in front).
And when it comes to the other drivers fault, the best you can do is always be prepared

·
Registered
58 Posts
ya same here.............7 months , one accident.
left hand turn, slipped on gravel and went into a death wobble..........by the time i got control of the bike i was heading for the side walk at 45 miles an hr.

busted my rim, brake rotor, radiator, and frame...............i turned it into my project bike and i m fixin it myself..............about $2500 dollars of parts needed

shit does happen

·
Registered
67 Posts
No street accidents. But what REALLY DRIVES ME NUTS is: A non-rider sees you have a streetbike and immediately starts telling some story on how someone they knew crashed and broke this or that. Damn, that ticks me off!

Whenever it happens now, I ask "Why do you have to bring something like that up?" all serious like.

·
Registered
79 Posts
No street accidents. But what REALLY DRIVES ME NUTS is: A non-rider sees you have a streetbike and immediately starts telling some story on how someone they knew crashed and broke this or that. Damn, that ticks me off!

Whenever it happens now, I ask "Why do you have to bring something like that up?" all serious like.

Soon as I mentioned to anybody that I was taking MSF and getting a bike I heard nothing but horror story's. It's the risk we all assume to have a shit eating grin from riding.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My first one in ten years of riding was last Saturday. I ride the twisties hard, fast and try to do it as safe as possible; EG: Not flying around on crowded roads. A hard left (15mph sign) came up a lot faster than expected. I had less than a split second to decide to slow down as much as possible and accept the crash or try and stick the turn. I felt I was gonna run out of road and didn't want to risk taking the whole road for fear of unseen oncoming traffic. I slowed to approx 40mph and went into the ditch. I hit the ground hard, my hip and ribs are really sore. I laid the bike on it's side and let her go. Minimal damage to the fairing and cowling. Few hundred bucks on ebay, quite a lot of time in my garage and some new base/clearcoat and I'll be back on the road next week.

I used to think this wouldn't happen to me, I was going to fast for the amount of attention I was paying. Plain and simple, I f'd up big time. I'm just glad I'm ok, nobody else was hurt and the bikes in good shape. All things considered, I'm really f'n lucky...

PS: I was wearing full gear, short the 1-piece leathers :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Friend of mine has been riding for 5 years. Never been down. He's crashed into another bike, but didn't fall. (he was ran off the road by a careless cager).

I had a lady disobey a traffic control sign (right turn only, she went straight) and then just stop in my lane. I smacked her car. I lowsided about 6 months later.

Crashing is a part of riding. You can crash and live through it. Shoot, my lowside was the easy one. shifter broke off, clutch lever broke off. We tig welded them back on and I was riding that night. (Now, I had a hole in my knee straight to the bone and was running on adrenaline. I shoulda gone home, but I didn't.) My first wreck sent me to the hospital, but I lived through it. That's the thing, man. You can do these things, and walk away. just wear some gear, and you'll be OK.

Then again, there are some things gear won't help. Hitting a pole at 90+mph with your body after you dump your bike trying to do a wheelie. We spent hours cleaning the bits of bike up. The fire department was nice enough to hose off the road and pick up the larger bits of my friend. (Not a joke/fake story, I'm just rather callous towards death).

I know and have met many people that ride. I meet even more people that want to get into it. I tell them two things.

1. Crashing sucks, but it's a part of the life. It's not a bad thing. If you wear the right gear, most of the time you will walk away from the experience.

2. The more friends you have that ride, the more funerals you will attend.

The friends I have (after 2 years) have finally started wearing helmets. I'm feeling better and better about that.

You say that you are a future zx6r owner. Good! It's a fine machine. I love mine. I've owned 7 bikes so far, and ridden about 20 others. I can tell you that the ZX6r is one of my favorites. I can also tell you NOT to underestimate this bike. DON'T get cocky with it, it will bite you. Sure, it's a 600, barely cresting the 100hp mark. I SMOKE my friends in the corners, and surprise them to hell when I whack that throttle open. The bike pulls HARD for a starter ride, it just doesn't happen till you get above 6k rpm, and then REALLY throws you back at 8k and up. (Before someone flames about that, I'm comparing it to another 600, or the 500's and 250's, not my ZRX1200 or CBR954).

Take it SLOW. LEARN what you can, RESPECT the bike and the roads. If you follow that, you will have MANY years of enjoyment. if you don't, you will have MANY years of medical bills.

http://www.cmyoung.com/bikewreck.html

Read that. It's graphic, but hey. Something to consider.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I hit a wet paint strip on a really cold morning (3 months ago) making a right hand turn and the bike slid out from under me..... the slider took the majority of it and there is a small gash in my lower fairing. Nothing serious.... I always ride with a helmet, boots, gloves, jacket and I'm looking for some good pants as it's finally summer and carving the mountains is just too much fun.

Some other things to consider:
1. You never know whats in the road 3 cars ahead of you if you follow too close.

2. I was riding on the hwy and coming at me like a knuckle ball is a large square piece of plastic sheeting floating in the air...... SCARRY... I just missed it.

3. Potholes at night!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's some fun [email protected]!!!

4. Paint lines.............

5. Check your tire pressure frequently.

6. Never hit your rear brake in a corner!!!!!!!! OUCH!!!!!!!!!!

7. Always, Always, Always wear your gear!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'unno, I like making my rear end slide. SOMETIMES. Here in Illinois, they use tar to patch up cracks in the road. So, from 80 degrees and up, they are slick. in the cold, they are slick. When it's raining, they are FUCKING SLICK. But, they don't use them to just cross the road, they use them going the length of the road. So, if you are trying to change lanes, you can hit one of them, and it'll upset your ride.

·
Registered
79 Posts

http://www.cmyoung.com/bikewreck.html

Read that. It's graphic, but hey. Something to consider.

Hadn't read that linky before. It's a good one. Couple quotes from it;

"I made it to pay the lady but never made it home. Well, not until 26 days later."

"Hospital bill has been totaled to $45,892.66, (Maybe More) I did have insurance, but wearing leathers would have been a lot better and cheaper."

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just take it easy....get use to your bike first....pay more attention to your surrounding....NEVER GET TOO COCKY!!! If you want to test out your limit....do it on the track.....

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yea- these are EXACTLY the types of things I'm talking about. I am SUPER excited about FINALLY getting one but this advice and stories are EXACTLY what I need to keep me from getting too excited & over my head... Are there any more stories or advice????????? This is VERY likely to help me think twice whenever I get a wild thought and thus end up saving my life-- and if not mine some other newbie to the bike world...

·
Registered
683 Posts
Been riding for almost 6 years now and haven't crashed yet. However I've never dragged my knee in a turn either, so maybe my riding style helps. I'm aggressive in the straights (and at the drag strip) but take it pretty easy in the turns. I've had some close calls though. A bike ahead of me spit a stone off the rear tire bigger than a golf ball at about 65 mph. HIt me square in the chest. My whole chest turned purple. that hurt. I once borrowed my friends Buel and stood that sucker straight up. Thought i was going to dump an $11000 bike that wasn't even mine. Saved it though. Ran over a muffler at night once. I really thought it was going to do me in, but somehow i kept it upright. The closest I've came to tasting asphalt: I was making a left in a turn lane on my old KZ1000. The car in front of me left wet tracks through the intersection. When i hit the tracks the tires slid to the side hard. I slid into the right lane and thought for sure I was going to lowside it. Then the tires just took a big bite into the rode and the bike stood up. Caught me by such surprise that I went from almost lowsiding it to saving it from the high side. That was scary because I was really new to riding when it happened. Another thing about those old KZ1000's is that without a steering damper they speed wobble bad. I've had some pretty violent shakes on the highway on that sucker. Now thats pretty scary too. So, I haven't been down yet (knock on wood). However I don't doubt that its coming. I wear leather First Gear jacket, Shoei Helmet, gloves, and atleast a pair of jeans if not leather pants, at all times. When I do go down I'll have the gear.
T

1 - 19 of 19 Posts