Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Premium Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to check my shims next week and make any adjustments I need to. However, although I know I have to check them at TDC is there a fool prood way to ensure that you are at TDC?

I've read somewhere there are two TDC postions and I want to ensure that I've got it right.

Thanks

· Premium Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool thanks for that, sorry for the delay in responding.

Whats the best way of moving the position? I figured that I'd put it in gear and move the rear wheel.

· Premium Member
13,442 Posts
You really don't need to worry about being at TDC as long as the valve you are checking has it's cam lobe pointing directly away from the stem and is on the relative center of the base circle of the cam profile.

· Premium Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh that makes it a damn site easier to work with. Thanks Hammer.

I know the bbok says you need a specific gauge to check the gap but is there any reason I can't just use a regular gauge?

· Premium Member
13,442 Posts
The clearance can only be checked by a feeler gauge that's smaller or the same as the clearance gap. any larger and it won't slide in. Regular feeler gauges work just fine. Whatever the largest feeler that will slide in without forcing it is your clearance. If it's less than the recommended clearance (more common than it being more) you will need to expand the gap with a smaller shim. With the ZX-11 (like my old ZZR 12) it's an easy procedure that only requires sliding the rockers to one side to get the shim out. Once you have a new shim, it's easy to check and replace if need be. I always tried to adjust out to the max recommended clearance rather than the minimum, because that will last longer as the valves always tend to pound the seats and stick up farther into the head, reducing clearance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.