Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I went for a ride today... :crazyloco:crazyloco:crazyloco:crazyloco:crazyloco:crazyloco

before i did, i raised the rear end of my suspension just a little bit more than it was. just to test it out. so now theres about 5-1/2 to 6 threads showing under the bolt.

i'm not sure if its just the rough winter roads, but i came hawlin' over a hill that i have ridden quite a few times. So i was in the top of 3rd gear as i crested it, and i felt a little bump. the bump unsettled my front end and sent me into a crazy tankslapping frenzy. i didn't slam on the brakes or anything, i just lightly let of the throttle as the front end FINALLY pointed straight down the road again. needless to say, it scared the crap out of me.

my question is, did i raise the rear too far? i love how it handles now, it steers really quick and lightly.

I've got my forks dropped 8mm in the yokes. how much do you guys have your rear ends raised?

· Premium Member
11,237 Posts
The "preload adjusters" dont actually affect preload, you can lower the front by unscrewing them.

It makes a big difference.

I got to ride mine today too lol

· Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i know about the front, my front end is dropped 8mm and the ride height adjusters are all the way out, so my front end is pretty much where i want it.

I'm talking about how much the ride height adjuster is jacked up on the rear shock.

· Premium Member
11,237 Posts
yeah i know about the front, my front end is dropped 8mm and the ride height adjusters are all the way out, so my front end is pretty much where i want it.

I'm talking about how much the ride height adjuster is jacked up on the rear shock.
Just checking lol

· Registered
4,631 Posts

Set your forks to 5mm. That should be fine for aggressive riding. 8mm is too much in my opinion. It'll get unsettled if you're not careful when lowering the front wheel down after a wheelie or coming over a crest.

Remember, Trailing the brakes into the corner will steepen your geometry anyway so you really don't need to drop the forks that much. If you're just riding back roads at neutral throttle and are not trail braking then I can see why you would want to drop the front end. As an experiment, raise the forks back to stock (leave your rear raised) and before you go into a corner that you normally would brake nice and firm and watch your forks dive which in turn will lower your front end. Set your front compression to 1 click from full soft. (I normally set mine at 2 but I'm a heavier rider)

Otherwise, if you leave the bike set the way it is you're going to need a steering damper asap!

· Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
alright, i'll try turning in the front ride height adjusters and checking my compression, I have it set at 5 clicks from fulling in now. so we'll see how she takes it.

part of it might be the winter roads around here are SO ROUGH. makes unsettled handling pretty much a common theme when riding in FEBRUARY. ha

· Registered
4,631 Posts
alright, i'll try turning in the front ride height adjusters and checking my compression, I have it set at 5 clicks from fulling in now. so we'll see how she takes it.

part of it might be the winter roads around here are SO ROUGH. makes unsettled handling pretty much a common theme when riding in FEBRUARY. ha
Yeah I doubt you're getting any fork dive. There are 8 settings for the fork compression and the forks are REALLY harsh. I set mine at setting #2 and that was at the track when I'm braking hard. The goal should be (Based on what I was taught) is to use as much fork travel as possible without bottoming out. If you do that then you'll get the nice turn in when you tip the bike over into the corner and you don't have to drop the forks because the forks would have compressed which in turn will steepen your geometry.

At 5 clicks of compression I doubt you're using half of your fork travel. I made the same mistake when I first got this bike.

Experiment by placing a zip tie on one of your fork legs and then go to a spot where you would normally brake really hard. Pull over and see if your zip tie touched the bottom. It probably won't, even at compression setting #1 on the forks.

· Registered
4,631 Posts
Also wanted to point out that at first it might seem soft when you set it to the first or second setting but trust me you will not bottom these forks unless you are over 250lbs.

Towards the bottom of it's stroke the front suspension becomes stiffer (probably due to the springs. They might be progressive).

· Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ha! I actually just took my zip tie that i had on there off today. I set the forks up as per:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/webzxr/zxr750r/Features/myzx7r.html

and those settings are pretty harsh on rough roads.

The zip tie moved to within one inch of the bottom (with compression set at 5 clicks) after I hit about 75 and then braked HARD to see how far it would go. (^all tested this summer^) when setting it down from a wheelie the the forks moved about half way down. which kind of confused me to why "andy's zx7r site" said 5 clicks. but i went with it.

· Registered
4,631 Posts
ha! I actually just took my zip tie that i had on there off today. I set the forks up as per:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/webzxr/zxr750r/Features/myzx7r.html

and those settings are pretty harsh on rough roads.

The zip tie moved to within one inch of the bottom (with compression set at 5 clicks) after I hit about 75 and then braked HARD to see how far it would go. (^all tested this summer^) when setting it down from a wheelie the the forks moved about half way down. which kind of confused me to why "andy's zx7r site" said 5 clicks. but i went with it.
Yeah I've read Andy's site too. Try my settings. Try it at 2 clicks and put your fork height back to 'near stock' settings. You'll like it I promise. ....and the road will seem a little less harsh.

· Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Will do! i'll look at 2 or 1 clicks of compression. i only weigh about 170 lbs, so we'll see how much i can give it.

Thanks!

Oh, and yeah, i remember reading your post about how you road in the cold and you said the bike felt like a liter bike. definitely had that goin on today. charged down the road after the bike was warmed up and the front end was floating from 5k till i shifted to 2nd. even with me laying mostly over the handlebars/tank region. WHOOOOOOOOOOO

· Registered
4,631 Posts
Will do! i'll look at 2 or 1 clicks of compression. i only weigh about 170 lbs, so we'll see how much i can give it.

Thanks!

Oh, and yeah, i remember reading your post about how you road in the cold and you said the bike felt like a liter bike. definitely had that goin on today. charged down the road after the bike was warmed up and the front end was floating from 5k till i shifted to 2nd. even with me laying mostly over the handlebars/tank region. WHOOOOOOOOOOO
170? Definitely 1 click then. 2 clicks if you're doing wheelies.

Riding in the cold took me by surprise for sure. The 7 loves cold air.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.