Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Talk about losing some teeth..

So I went for a ride today with fellow 636 riders. we ripped some back roads and cruised around to the hangout spots.... as i was cruising to the circle (55 mph) my sprocket just pretty much shattered and almost destroyed my bike. got lucky with the case not cracking and me not crashing i would say.

all i have ever heard of was 1 or 2 teeth stripping off but not what happend to me.. anyone else seen or heard of this

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
holy crap, i think you need to change your mod list in your signature...

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Looks more like -1/-5.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
that chain must have been tight as hell to put that much wear and tare on it.. that front one probably about ready to snap itself. :eek:hno

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
You where doing 55 mph when that happened and you never wiped out, damn, you must have a horseshoe up your butt. When I was young riding a pedal bike I had the chain come off the rear sprocket and it caused the rear tire to lock up, I skidded and whiped out. You are lucky, it could have been alot worse. Send some pictures of the rear sprocket to the manufacturer, see what they have to say.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wow that's crazy, glad you are ok. Did your back wheel lock up or just spin loose?

Besides bad quality parts and a tight chain what else could cause this to happen?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my chain was perfect, 1 inch of slack. it was a parts unlimited steel sprocket.. tire didn't lock up but when it happend i basically crapped myself thinking the clutch went or my tranny. then i stopped and looked to see 5 teeth just missing, my buddy said he just saw a chunk skipping across the street... moral of story buy better parts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i think lucky would be an understatement :lol

·
Registered
888 Posts
my chain was perfect, 1 inch of slack. it was a parts unlimited steel sprocket.. tire didn't lock up but when it happend i basically crapped myself thinking the clutch went or my tranny. then i stopped and looked to see 5 teeth just missing, my buddy said he just saw a chunk skipping across the street... moral of story buy better parts
1 inch slack is not perfect and is actually tight, a bad suspension set can cause it to rebound bad and use up all that 1 inch to snap the chain or slowly grind the sprocket. you want an inch and a half.. and up to 2 inches if you go through effed up roads.

everytime you hit a bump and the chain gets tight, it will use about an inch of slack and if your suspesion is too soft it can cause it to use up an inch and half

·
Premium Member
13,119 Posts
Unless that sprocket wore at light-speed on the last ride, it was shot before you left the house. When a back sprocket is worn that badly, what seems to be proper chain adjustment is waaaayyyyy too tight. The results are in your pics.

·
Registered
59 Posts
1 inch slack is not perfect and is actually tight, a bad suspension set can cause it it rebound bad and use up all that 1 inch to snap the chain or slowly grind the sprocket. you want an inch and a half.. and up to 2 inches if you go through effed up roads.

everytime you hit a bump and the chain gets tight, it will use about an inch of slack and if your suspesion is too soft it can cause it to use up an inch and half
+1.... My guess is that's why it snapped the rear sprocket. If you've been running 1" for a while, I would also think about a new chain - that's gonna snap next.

Always set it to 1.5" and you should be good.

·
Registered
888 Posts
a couple of factors to add is a bad alignment, i seen a friends sprocket bend because it wasnt properly aligned.

add cheap sprocket, tight chain, misalignment.
id guess is enough to break just like that.

·
Registered
10,836 Posts
There should only be 10mm up and 10mm down in the chain slack. I have an OEM one for $8 if you need one.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
a couple of factors too add is a bad alignment, i seen a friends sprocket bend because it wasnt properly aligned.

add cheap sprocket, tight chain, misalignment.
id guess is enough to break just like that.
+1

I have seen sprockets develop cracks from poor rear wheel alignment and too tight combination. The sprocket was never meant to flex at all....cheaper ones can be a bit brittle.

·
Registered
59 Posts
There should only be 10mm up and 10mm down in the chain slack. I have an OEM one for $8 if you need one.
Are you saying there should be a total of 20mm of movement up and down in the chain? That would be 2cm total, which would be only a little over 3/4" which would be very wrong and very tight.

Check your owner's manual, it should state something very close to 30-40mm total slack which is 1.2"-1.6". Safe to be at 1.5". And remember, if you replace your chain with a new one, it will stretch at first... so rechecking is important.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts