Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help taking the front rim off. If there is a guide to doing this I would greatly appreciate it if you posted it up. I have searched around and cant come up with anything. I have a general idea of how to do it, but I dont want to mess anything up. Arnt the forks under constant pressure. Will they come apart if I take the wheel off? It might be a stupid ? but I work on cars not bikes for right now and my knowledge is minimal. I found a place that will straighten my rim out so I might not have to buy a new one! Any help will be appreciated, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am no pro...

Someone correct me if I am wrong. But for starters you will need something to get your bike off of the ground (e.g. stand). Then as for your fork question...your forks will only travel so far; they will not come apart. You will have to remove your brake calipers, and I believe that should be it. Then all that is left is your wheel lug. After that, I am guessing since you are getting your wheel straightened that you will need to take your rotors off of your wheel. Let me know how it goes, and for anyone reading this...correct me if I am wrong, because I am no pro.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yah just get the front of the bike off the ground with a stand or hoist wrapped around the handle bars........Take off your brake calipers....take off the the nut on the wheel......Use something to gently pound the axle out of the wheel. To put back on just do it in reverse but here are a couple of tips because of things I have run into in the past.

When you take the calipers off you might need to pry the brake pads in to remove it. When You re-install them press the front brake lever until it is firm again. I forgot to do this once and didnt have my front brakes when I needed them going down the road. It was almost scary.

Use a rubber hammer when putting the axle back in so you dont scar it up.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool thanks people. I will let you know how it goes. I hope its fixable.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am making a rear stand, almost done with it. I already took off the fender and loosen'd the calipers. I am going to be looking for straps and pullies tomarrow to hoist it up. I bought black hi temp paint, to paint my engine cover that got grinded alittle from the fall.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i just found out b.c its 'in season' that I wont get my rim back for 2 months if I try to get it straight. So I guess I will just go through insurance to fix it. I dont have my liscense though, is that going to be a problem????

·
Registered
81 Posts
Buy the Factory Service manual for your bike and do it right.
Pounding an Axel out?
You kidding?
Theres a pinch bolt and threads involved.
The manual will give you the correct sequence and TORQUE values to reinstall the calipers and Axel.
The procedure and Torque values, may also be in your Owners manual.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Buy the Factory Service manual for your bike and do it right.
Pounding an Axel out?
You kidding?
Theres a pinch bolt and threads involved.
The manual will give you the correct sequence and TORQUE values to reinstall the calipers and Axel.
The procedure and Torque values, may also be in your Owners manual.
Since we are in the realm of a genius.......why dont you tell us the "correct" method of taking a wheel off instead of bashing and telling us to look at the manual. And to clarify "pounding" the "AXLE" not the "Axel" out would commonly be used to remove it because it can be frozen up or under pressure by the wheel. Take a shim or a wooden dowel if you want and tap it out while someone holds the wheel. I find this easier than tugging on the end of the bolt and slipping off of it. But what do I know.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its at the dealership now. I cant wait to get it back...

·
Registered
462 Posts
Please, everyone behave. Old enough to have bikes old enough to treat each other with respect, let alone other riders. Anyways, I use cinder blocks, and car jack and an hanging measure to do change my front. Just got some new Dunlop rubber and the wheel is about 10 ft from me!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts