Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear fellow ZX-14,

After much consideration, i have decided to take out my secondary butterflies. :rofl The furtherest left and right screws were the hardest to come out. Kawasaki put in loctite to secure the screws. One thing for certain, i'll be needing new screws if wanting to put it back together again. For all of you wanting to do so... be careful.

From what intel i can gather around, the secondary butterflies works in two ways. One is to restrict low end power between 3000-6000rpm. The second is that it closes itself upon reaching 10000rpm, preventing max top speed.

From this two info, for now i can confirm only the first. After taking my bike for a spin, the power surge came on quickly starting 3000rpm compared to the 6000rpm surge. It not that the moment you release the clutch, the bike will lurge forward hard... the user friendliness is still there but power starts picking up at 3000rpm that's all.

I managed to hit 0-100kph in under 2.5 seconds at 5500rpm. Before undergoing this mod, my bike was dynoed at 160hp with 98Nm of torque. Now it's up to 168hp with 103Nm of torque. I was very impressed with the outcome. I bet i can get at least 190 rwhp by adding K&N, PC3 and muzzy full titanium system. I promised myself not doing ever again top speed testing but this outcome brings out the beast in me.....:devil

The conclusion is this, if you aim for the drag, than this is the easiest way to go but if for the road, leave it be.. but that's just me.

Don't tell your dealer though.... tampering with your flies will void your warranty and that does include putting in K&N, PC3 and new cans.

If you want more power, then join me........:eek:hno

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Putting new cans on it voids the warranty??? u sure? :headscratch
Yes my friend, got it straight from the dealers mouth. Check your warranty booklet. It clearly states that any modification to the bike will void the warranty. It is to comply with emission and noise standards. As for me.... off the record.......i'm lucky to be close enough with the dealer. As i have a very long relationship with them, i can proceed any modification provided all being done thru them. Trusting is vice versa because they're into racing themselves.

Haven't done any speed blasting yet but according to the dealer, the projected top speed could be between 330km/h to 350km/h. I'll tell you the outcome once i have the balls for it.

Anyway, don't think in persuing any modification after this cause i like the way it is. The quietness and so on. We only use more of the midrange grunt and not the max speed so no point in going faster. Another thing is fuel consumption.... by adding PC3 and new cans, performance will increase significantly but sacrificing fuel economy. I have to give this a very, very, very long thought about this issue cause i use this bike daily 220km to work and that's it. Petrol costs are getting higher and higher so any modification towards better performance but lower consumption are welcome by me anytime. Not the other way around and again... it's just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
57 Posts
any dyno of the stock bike (stock cans etc.) with Vs. without the butterflies? i'd like to see the change in the curve...

·
Registered
199 Posts
TIP: heat the screws with a decent soldering gun before trying to remove them, the heat breaks the loctite.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TIP: heat the screws with a decent soldering gun before trying to remove them, the heat breaks the loctite.
Too late for that now, 2/8 screw crowns are damage. Have to resort in getting replacement for it. I'll try in getting the before and after dyno reading after taking out the flies. Give me some time and i'll post it here.

Just for your info, honestly speaking, i kinda love my bike more now than ever since taking the flies out, the way the power rolls on at 3500rpm is undescribable and would like to leave it that way. I woudln't trade it for anything else.....

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Have you remapped to compensate for the leaner mixture or does itseem to be ok in factory form?:runaway

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you remapped to compensate for the leaner mixture or does itseem to be ok in factory form?:runaway
No bro... just take out the flies and fire her up. No remapping is required. Runs a bit leaner but none to worry about. You won't believe what i just did. After taking out the flies, putting on custom K&N, pc3 and yoshi slip-on. I decided to revert back to standard form minus the flies. Why? despite having 196hp and 115Nm, my neighbours are complaining that its loud. I live in a polytechnic government quarters and that all the ground floors are motorcycle parking and above that are living quarters... Luckily enough i didn't sell my cans. Now i'm back to 170hp and 105Nm. :rant :cussing

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Sounds like restricted living mannn!!:banghead You know they say "loud pipes save lives" :nana A bud of mine has an 01 zx-12r with a 1470c.c. head kit,Power comdr, dry nitr. shot 6" swing ext. and some misc. He switched from a Yosh pipe to a 4-1 muzzy was alot qiueter still sounds hot but not as loud as the yosh pipe. I'm real picky about the sound of my bikes still lookin for the right sound but would like to stick with the 4-2 sytem (like the symetry of the daul exhaust. Think I'll wait till the warranty is up before I get to the internal mods. But you say your good with your mixture now without the map? Not doubt n ya just read a lot about the lean low end problem after the flies out?? Thanks BLUEBYOU:rofl

·
Registered
40 Posts
As far as warranty goes, custom exhaust are ok. Also it IS recomended to get a power commander III and remap when you pull the flies and add an exhaust system or slip-ons. I have the flies pulled, Leo Vince slip-ons, and PC-III and my dealer has done warranty work on my bike without problem, as a mater of fact my dealer dynoed and made the custom map I am running.. I have 8000miles on my 14 and it rocks.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds like restricted living mannn!!:banghead You know they say "loud pipes save lives" :nana A bud of mine has an 01 zx-12r with a 1470c.c. head kit,Power comdr, dry nitr. shot 6" swing ext. and some misc. He switched from a Yosh pipe to a 4-1 muzzy was alot qiueter still sounds hot but not as loud as the yosh pipe. I'm real picky about the sound of my bikes still lookin for the right sound but would like to stick with the 4-2 sytem (like the symetry of the daul exhaust. Think I'll wait till the warranty is up before I get to the internal mods. But you say your good with your mixture now without the map? Not doubt n ya just read a lot about the lean low end problem after the flies out?? Thanks BLUEBYOU:rofl
Honestly speaking.. I'm good to where i am now and i've yet to encounter the 'lean low end problems' that you've mentioned. I did however noticed a bit of lean during dyno testing and since my dealer was an experienced local racer, he assured me that it is ok. Sorry i can't post pics/dyno graph coz i don't have a scanner nor camera phone to do so....

However i do miss the roar especially when cracking the throttle open... :banghead I'd like the assured feeling that motorists around notice me by the roaring sounds and they know that i am there and they be weary about it. Now, they don't notice me at all.... and that bothers me... have to be a bit careful now on the road....:eek:hno

·
Registered
35 Posts
I get my 07 zx14 this afternoon. I will be riding about 300kms north with it for the weekend. While there it would be the perfect oppurtunity to remove the flies. However, my PCIII won't be in until Monday or Tuesday. Is this ok?

Or should I just wait until the PCIII is here? Like I said it would be a prime time to take them out on the weekend!

Thanks guys, and yes, I have read EVERY post about the flies on the internet!

·
Registered
40 Posts
You should try the Leo Vince EVO-III slip-ons w/removable decabel killers in them, nowhere near as loud as most slip-ons and db killers can be removed/installed in no time at all.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No worries bro... you can pull out the flies without installing the pc3. I've done 6000km stock form without flies. No problems whatsoever... Mind the throttle sensitiveness starting from 3500rpm (previous 6500rpm). It goes like a rocket...

If i were in your shoes, i'll do it one shot. Pull the flies and install pc3. From your statement, you want to pc3 only? If so, in my opinion, you won't tap you bike full potential. You'll have to change your air filter, pull the flies, install pc3 and install slip-ons. My bike was dynoed at 196hp and 115Nm by doing the said mod.... enjoy :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well, actually, the exhaust is yet to come....but the PCIII will be here next Monday or Tuesday. I was just wondering if I could pull the flies tomorow, as the PCIII will go on as soon as I get it next week?!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
As i said previously, no harm in doing so..... no problems on my bike....
Mine are out! Took em out when I got up north at the cottage. I even think my fuel mileage got better!! I burnt a lot of fuel on the way up, about 225kms. On the way home, 2 bars left still!
Lean at 3500rpm....just stay away from there!
I hope my PCIII will arrive tomorrow!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts