Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was down south in Alabama visiting some family over the weekend. Weather has been unusually warm, so I trailered my bike to get some riding in while DC got ice and snow.

While there, I checked the forecast for Robbinsville, NC, the closest town to the Dragon. Temp was predicted to be around 60 degrees on Tuesday, so I decided to make a detour on the way home and ride my new 2011 ZX10 on it.

The day was absolutely perfect. No one was there except the locals on sportbikes. All the Harley tourists and leaf watchers that litter up the road the rest of the year were completely absent. The cops were nowhere in sight. I got some great runs in and had the road almost all to myself. I made a video of it with my Go Pro 2 camera.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Very nice. Hope to do the same thing in June when I visit my friends/family in NC in June (unfortunately will have to deal with the Harley tourists).
Never been in June, but I hear from people I ride with that it's really hard to have a good run. I usually go in April and October, and spend a week there riding all the roads in the region. Even then, it's pretty bad. The Deal's Gap Motorcycle Resort fills up everyday with Harleys. They're great for the local economy, they buy shirts and shit, but they go so slow on the road. And they refuse to pull over so you end up having to buzz them in the few straights. Some sportbikers get frustrated and pass them in the turns where you can't see. Don't do that. It's not worth risking.

During peak season, the best time to get a decent run is early in the morning, like 8am. That's my routine when I stay there. I stay at the motorcycle resort, get up 8am, make a few passes on the Dragon, then go ride Rt. 28 or the Cheralowa Skyway while all the Harleys come and clog up the Dragon.

· Registered
3,929 Posts
Thank you so much for the video. I was hearing so much about the infamous "Tail of the Dragon" I was almost getting sick of it. Its nice to know that this road, isnt any more AWESOME then roads I have ridden here in the Northwest or in the Canadian Kootenays... in fact, I think the Kootenays are better, (damn Canucks), but geez, any road with curves like these IS awesome..

I judge by if my forearms are hurting & cramping up when Im done.

Not slamming the road at all, the video & road are excellent, the only diff between what I have had the pleasure to ride on is that my scenery has Mountain snowscapes and fir trees in the background.. :rofl:smile:rolleyes

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.