Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a tank , tail fairing and undertray off a guy. came home today after painting them last week and went to put it all back together and the tail dosent seem to fit :banghead :banghead :banghead . Is there a trick to getting the 99 tail to fit , is it possable? How can i be sure its a 99 even? more of my bikes have been GSXR's..... Really starting to miss my old Gixxer now... This ZX9 has fought me on EVERYTHING thus far....

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Just be careful not to crack it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just dont see how... Its retardedly tight. Plus the voltage regulator and some outher box on the opposite side is scratching the shit out of it when I try to put it on... If I ever get this thing on its never coming off...

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
You'll want to lay it on top and install the pillion key release mechanism first. That dictates how far to all sides you can move it while installing. Then it comes down at a diagonal, coming in about 6" farther back, b/c the back end of the tail fairing has to slip over the tail lights. Spread it barely enough to slip over the electrical jetting out from the left side. It may take several minor adjustments to get all the mounting holes to line up.

I had to do this procedure three times while mounting different tails. Not hard at all when you recognize how to do it.

If you think this is difficult, try installing the mount screws to a '96 Chevy S10's distributor cap. Now that's insane! It's placed at the back of the engine, next to the firewall and takes a special security head tool to tighten, in a location where you cannot see one screw while you're doing it, you just have to feel your way around and hope the tool makes contact to the screw-head. That's if the screws don't fall out while you're re-attaching the cap and you have to spend the next several hours, around greasy dirty grimy engine parts, searching for where the screw(s) fell out to or just say phuck-it and go buy new ones and hope one of them doesn't conveniently fall out later on and puncture a tire in the process. :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do better with the impossable screwes on cars and trucks lol. Plastic and fiberglass.... Not so much , I know what it takes to fix that when I crack/break it and I hate doing it lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts