Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 00 Zx9r. recently had my carbs cleaned and jet kit installed. Ever since then, sometimes when i turn the bike on the tach doesn't register the idle rpms but if you twist the throttle, it reads the rpms normal. Then when you let off the throttle the tach falls back to 0 rpm on idle. If I turn the key off and then back on again and restart the bike, the tachometer reads the idle rpm just fine like nothing happens. So everytime i go to ride my bike i have to start it twice in order to see the idle rpm. Any idea what could be causing this?

·
Registered
208 Posts
I would have to say its gonna be three different things but really falls into the same area.. a short.. check within the CDI box.. IC ignitor... it could be going out as well as the fuse boxs could be going out too.. The ACC on the fues box controls the tach as well as the CDI box.

·
Registered
208 Posts
no.. that wouldn't have anything to do with it.. but also the switch (off and on) can also play a roll in it.. does your starter silinod click when you push the start button.. could be a fault switch or a bad starter silinod too.. but the main things i would check would be the cdi box

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I checked out all the electrical. Looks like I'm getting an issue from the starter relay perhaps. I notice that when I hold down the start button to crank the bike the rpm gauge reacts normally as long as I keep the start button held down, but as soon as I let go of it, the rpm gauge drops down to 0rpm even though the bike is still running. As usual a quick turn of the key off and then back on again to restart the bike everything works fine. Guess I'll buy a new starter relay and see how that works.

·
Registered
208 Posts
If it only happens when button is pushed in and reset of the ignition and everything fine again.. I would just test the switch then. Bypass the switch turn her over.. If tach is fine and does what it is suppose to do, then u have a shorted out switch and should be replaced. Do u have the service manual to ur bike?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts