Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any opinions on this/ I hear about people and having some top end or rod failures and wonder if the synthetics may help prolong the life of a ZX engine.

I'm so happy with this bike I can't imagine blowing the thing up! E.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I run Golden Spectro 20W50. Its a synthetic blend. Spectro also makes a full synthetic that is very good. In my '75 I would run the Golden Spectro also except that when I bought my piston kit from APE the paperwork that came with it recommends high performance Kedall ( I think its called Kendall GT1, but I'm not sure at the moment), so I run that. Although I don't know if the knew Kendall is the same as the old. Does anyone remember when Kendall used to be green? Its not anymore. Its now a regular brownish oil color. I have read people who say not to use synthetic during the break in period. When I get my turbo bike built I plan on breaking it in with the Kendal and then switching to the Golden Spectro. I still have to research that though cuz of the oiling to the turbo.
T

·
Registered
449 Posts
I run Golden Spectro 20W50. Its a synthetic blend. Spectro also makes a full synthetic that is very good. In my '75 I would run the Golden Spectro also except that when I bought my piston kit from APE the paperwork that came with it recommends high performance Kedall ( I think its called Kendall GT1, but I'm not sure at the moment), so I run that. Although I don't know if the knew Kendall is the same as the old. Does anyone remember when Kendall used to be green? Its not anymore. Its now a regular brownish oil color. I have read people who say not to use synthetic during the break in period. When I get my turbo bike built I plan on breaking it in with the Kendal and then switching to the Golden Spectro. I still have to research that though cuz of the oiling to the turbo.
T
Kendall GT1 is good but I think Mobil 1 full synthetic is prolly better as far a Spectro goes the jury is out on that. I looked into M/C oil~V~High Qaulity Auto oils and found that it is a funny thing as far a marketing goes,so google and look at what whats out there. I don't remember the website but these USC phyisics guys who also ride bike did some mega testing on oils under the most kranky conditions and if I remember right Mobile 1(syn)15-50 came in #1 with only 19% loss after 3500 miles. Kendall GT-1 was up there and Amsoil was also good,Spectro was 3rd or 4th. The thing is they tested(good) auto and m/c oils and found little difference,as some pricey M/C might suggest superior protection is worth $7-$9 a Quart...but is it really? They did go on to say that fully synthetic oils are better and conventional oils.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Oh here we go again with the great oil debate:rant .

Personally I'm totally sold on synthetic oil if it's good. I use Motul 300-V full synthetic on my baby, except for the initial break-in, she has almost 75K miles (and climbing) on her now, and runs better than new (with the few performance mods I've done).

The founder and president of Amsoil is a retired military, where he learned only synthetic oils were good enough to use on jet engines with the high temperatures and super-high-speed turbines and other moving parts. :headscratch That's why he founded Amsoil, since nobody else was really doing too much large scale educating about, and selling of, good synthetic oils.

I pay anywhere from $10 to $15 per liter for this Motul 300-V depending where I am. Nothing is too good for my baby. With the few cases of top end failure I've read about on ZX11's, perhaps another oiling issue as well, might as well have the best oil money can buy. Motul is good enough for Valentino Rossi and the factory Yamaha MotoGP team, so it's just fine for my baby!

Which full synthetic is the best? In what way? How many ways can a synthetic oil be tested & judged? What is the breakdown of synthetic oils from best to worst? Who TF knows?

·
Registered
379 Posts
If you do lots of fast riding and change the oil every 1000km then fully synthetic is cool but it gets very thin when hot and thats why you need to change it more often. i use a semi synthetic ELF racing oil from France which has turned out to be great.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I once did a generic oil test in my garage. I had a quart of synthetic 20W50 and a quart of conventional 20W50. I don't recall the brands, this was about 15 years ago. First I took 2 pieces of flat steel bar stock and clamped them in the vice. Then I heated with a propane torch till they started to glow. I poured some of the conventional oil on the hot steel and it nearly instantly burned up and turned to black carbony deposits that stuck to the steel. It left a lot of carbon/ash stuck to the steel. When I poured the synthetic on the hot steel it thinned out really fast and ran across the steel. I kinda coated the steel but did not burn up and turn to ash.
This was test #1. The synthetic seemed to do much better.

Then I took the caps to each quart of oil and filled one with conventional the other with synthetic. Placed the caps in the freezer for over an hour (don't remember how long exactly). After I felt they were as cold as they were going to get, I took them out. At the same time I poured them both into the garbage to see how they poured cold. The conventional was very thick and poured slowly. The synthetic seemed to pour the same as when it came out of the quart at room temp.
This was test #2. Again the synthetic seemed to do better.

Ok, I know my test wasn't very scientific. I didn't have a control group and I didn't repeat it more than that one time. However, I still think it supports the superiority of synthetic oils.
T

·
Registered
449 Posts
I once did a generic oil test in my garage. I had a quart of synthetic 20W50 and a quart of conventional 20W50. I don't recall the brands, this was about 15 years ago. First I took 2 pieces of flat steel bar stock and clamped them in the vice. Then I heated with a propane torch till they started to glow. I poured some of the conventional oil on the hot steel and it nearly instantly burned up and turned to black carbony deposits that stuck to the steel. It left a lot of carbon/ash stuck to the steel. When I poured the synthetic on the hot steel it thinned out really fast and ran across the steel. I kinda coated the steel but did not burn up and turn to ash.

Then I took the caps to each quart of oil and filled one with conventional the other with synthetic. Placed the caps in the freezer for over an hour (don't remember how long exactly). After I felt they were as cold as they were going to get, I took them out. At the same time I poured them both into the garbage to see how they poured cold. The conventional was very thick and poured slowly. The synthetic seemed to pour the same as when it came out of the quart at room temp.

Ok, I know my test wasn't very scientific. I didn't have a control group and I didn't repeat it more than that one time. However, I still think it supports the superiority of synthetic oils.
T
Tom, that's blow away! I just did your "non scientific" oil test in my shed and I think it says alot for synthetic oils. I find your test very solid, one could pontificate on this but I think I'll go for a ride instead~lol

·
Registered
208 Posts

T
Simple and BRILLIANT tests! Not too complicated either, but nice and simple and easy to see a clear winner. I say you dream up some more tests, and let us know the results!

·
Registered
649 Posts
I just changed my oil today and put in AMSOIL 10w40 full synthetic. I can tell that the shifting is way smoother, almost feels friction free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just wondering how many miles I should go before the next oil change???? Anyone??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts