Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.
I intend to change my ZX12 for a ZX10 (2004 or 2005 model). I want a more "playable" and twisties capable machine, especially considering greek roads... Should I consider an 636 as well (will be brand new) or will I "suffer" from lack of power having in mind that i am used to the "brutality" of the 12 ?

Would like to hear opinions on this ...
Thanx !

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Fascinating answer Damit ! Which means that with the 600s (ZX636 or CBR600RR (I like that too as an alternative, don't shout at me all you Ninja guys !!!)) Iwill not experience any lack of power except of less top speed (which I dont care) ? Benefit from 600s is that either will be accuired brand new. 10 Will be 2004 or 05 at best, meaning second-hand whatever this means.
What Price can I expect to get from the 12 ? (2001 model, has around 13000miles (22000km) good condition, brand new (2 weeks) tyres, Arrow exhaust can.
Also what is your opinion on CBR1000RR (04 or 05 ?) (Again dont shout at me please !!!)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Whay not just modify your zx12r ??? i dropped about 40 pounds on mine by taking the lights off and all the heavy stuff that supports it, i took the sound/vibrating box off the air intake and a few other mods like carbon fiber parts , i ride a 180 or max 190 in the back as tires , dropped the front 1 inch and boosted the back 1.5 inch ...
-1 tooth front sprocket and +1 in back ... makes a big difference and you'll get lots more stability than the zx-10r at high speed !!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I did not say you won't experience a loss of power. The 600s make power in a very different way. Mostly all top end. If keep the RPMs up, the power will be there like the 12, if you don't, you will have a lag until it hits. When I stepped up from the 6, I was expecting a lot more out of the 12. I thought I would be able to roll on throttle to get the front up, and pop the throttle to break the tire loose. Its not that I want to do wheelies, I am just explaining the kind of power I was expecting. It does not seem to be there unless I were to redline it in first gear, and since I am trying to sell it, I don't want to do that either. MY best advice would be to go test ride some bikes and see what you think. Good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I rode a friends 6RR the other day. They will fly but you have to keep the rpm's way up there. It turns quickly, I personally would not trade my 12R for a 600 class. The 12R has road 'presence' and a more usuable power band over a larger range of rev's. The 600's do handle better on twisties because of lighter weight and shorter wheelbase, but I can keep up with them on Deal's Gap, just in different places. No replacement for displacement.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi adam21, I very well agree with you on all aspects:
1) ZX12 truly has an immense road "presence" never keeps unnoticed wherever and whenever it rolls its wheels. 2) Considering long distance travels, in high speeds, which is what it has been designed for, according to my opinion, it has a wide usable power band. 3) big cc is really irreplaceable.
4) you dont generally switch 1200cc for 600, because you will definitely suffer from lack of power you were used to have.
But on the other hand, the 12r is a very "difficult" bike, hard to be amused
with in twisties, especially the ones in Greek roads, due to weight and length.
On the other hand its speed capabilities cannot be put to really good use in Greece, or you will be collecting big number of police tickets, and is sure to lose your lisence. This is why, considering that I don't do long distance trips as well, that I chose to switch it not for a 600 but for a 1000. R1 is my first choice followed by CBR1000RR. A lighter, much more "playable" bike, nevermind if it has little less power.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanx Damit, this is exactly what I did. Testrides. I also agree with you the 12r is not easy to make whellies with, at all. I never got to lift the front wheel off the groung more than a couple of inches. Maybe my technique was wrong, I can accept that, but this is not the issue. The thing is, after making quite a few test rides, I rather go for a '03 R1 because a) love madly its shape
b) like its performance and road attitude 3) will have to pay minimal difference for the switch. Having in mind that the 12 fell once, resulting in bike's minor damages (just scratches, nothing broken). Any way, descision made, it is on its way for a new master...

·
Registered
46 Posts
You can't go wrong with an R1. I really don't think you will be stepping down in power. My buddies R1(slightly Modified) had a ton of power. I could burn the rear wheel off just by tapping the throttle.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess you're right. Well I must honestly say that I am already impressed with my newly accuired R1. Although didn't get to drive it a lot yet. I also must admit that it doesn't seem to lack great deal of power compared to the 12. But even if it does a little, in can be ignored due to its (a lot) better usability.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
By the way, could you describe what you mean by "slightly modified" ? What slight mods could result in a such good performance as your buddy's R1 got ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for info. But I do not intend to interfere with the engine internals. Not with Nitro either. All I intend to do is exhaust, air filter and PCIII. By the way, what exhaust will give better midrange torque ? Must I keep exup and replace only slipon can ? Which brand offers slipons for stock R1 exhaust ? Acra, Arrow, Yoshimure, Arata ? Oval only is the shape.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanx Damit, this is exactly what I did. Testrides. I also agree with you the 12r is not easy to make whellies with, at all. I never got to lift the front wheel off the groung more than a couple of inches. Maybe my technique was wrong, I can accept that, but this is not the issue. The thing is, after making quite a few test rides, I rather go for a '03 R1 because a) love madly its shape
b) like its performance and road attitude 3) will have to pay minimal difference for the switch. Having in mind that the 12 fell once, resulting in bike's minor damages (just scratches, nothing broken). Any way, descision made, it is on its way for a new master...

Maybe your 12R is down on power compared to the US models, but even but stock mine would power wheelie in 1st gear easily.. Its freaking sick now with the 1270 kit..

·
Registered
304 Posts
I personally could never get rid of my 12. I truely believe it is the ultimate Sportbike! I did ponder the handling of a lighter bike, so to save any heartache for myself I bought an '05 ZX10! Now I have the best of both world's.

Both machine's are incredible, and I love them both. Just a bit more partial to my 12. Those of us who own 12's are a unique group. Especially since they are no longer in production (in the US).

My biggest dillema is which one to ride on any given day.

·
Registered
34 Posts
no kidding! totally agree w/ Oly!

the 12 rules the road. the R1 is a very sexy bike, but from a power standpoint I can't see a similar comparison. once i got my Muzzy pipe and pwr commander on it makes power everywhere. just take it to a good mechanic for some fine tuning and you have an unbeatable bike.

just my 2 cents.

:cheers

I personally could never get rid of my 12. I truely believe it is the ultimate Sportbike! I did ponder the handling of a lighter bike, so to save any heartache for myself I bought an '05 ZX10! Now I have the best of both world's.

Both machine's are incredible, and I love them both. Just a bit more partial to my 12. Those of us who own 12's are a unique group. Especially since they are no longer in production (in the US).

My biggest dillema is which one to ride on any given day.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Personally i think the 12R is the absolutly perfect embodiment of the term "Superbike" . Looks, power, sound and feel..it has it all. Sure, a 10R MIGHT be quicker..the 14 too, but they just dont have the 'presence' a 12 has..the way it projects an image and 'feeling' of sheer, brutal power. As good as the 14 may be, to my eye, its too 'pretty'.and refined, lacking the almost 'hostile' element that seems to pour from every part of a black/gold 2002 12R.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts