Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i have a 95 9R B2 that has a shot motor - been thinking of parting it out and then someone put two bugs in my ear: first, that you could use a 98-02 engine, do a little fabbing with the mounts and have a stronger engine;; second, you could straight swap a 94-97 zxr750 engine since they are the same frame and mounts.

i have found a local '98 9R motor that i can pick up for cheap and want to try to do this swap. does anyone have any experience with this??

i know the 94'-97 9Rs used the down tubes to cradle the engine in front, while the 98+ did not. however, as long as the main rear mount is the same, shouldnt i be able to just extend/widen/lengthen the down tubes to accomodate the new engine?? there are some subtle differences otherwise with the engine, i know the clutch is mechanical instead of hydraulic - but thats an easy fix.

the 98s have a bit more power, and are a bit lighter... i would love to be able to complete this swap. please let me know if anyone has any ideas or tips etc. thanks gents!

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
The fabrication will be the easy part.
Simplest way is to bring your frame to the engine and compare differences.
You're going to need everything for the engine though: ignition, electronics, CDI, etc.
I believe the 98+ 9r's used completely different systems.
If you are handy with fabrication, getting the engine to fit won't be too difficult.
The hardest part is going to be finding good, used parts mentioned above.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts