Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys/Gals,

Quick question if you will. Now that I'm getting more experience under my belt as far as riding goes. Does anyone have any suggestions on what kind of sag I should have in the front and rear end? 30-35mm? I have a 2000 ZX11, my weight is 280lbs, and riding on plain road with tons of twisties. My front end bobs up and down like a basket ball at times. I tried to adjust the two damping screws at the handle bar but nothing happens there. I've watched several flicks on youtube about setting them. With brake on bounce the bike. It will rebound almost 3 times at this point. The screws will not bottom out either, I thought I would turn them in then adjust out as needed. They just click about every quarter of a turn. Any advive would be appreciated!

To add, I don't have a service manual at this time. So bastard of a goat stole my usb stick that I had it down loaded on at work. I hope it catches his/her computer on fire. I hate a thief! Let me quit there...getting my blood pressure up!

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Fork can be adjusted 2 ways: preload and rebound damping. Because a picture is worth a lot of words, look below. All I can add is:
1- Damping adjustment screws must be turned clockwise only (don't ask why but that's what is written)
2- Damping adjustment screws have 4 positions, #1 being the "softest". Those 4 positions are all found within a screw's half-turn theh, are separated by an "empty" half-turn. After the "empty" half-turn, the first click you meet is position #1, followed by #2, #3 and #4. Adjust both legs the same.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Claude, I found it with the posting CCCagle30 had listed for the service manual. I've made my adjustments, so far it feels like a different bike. I'm going down to the shop this week end to take more measurements. I think the rear end had a little more sag in it than the front.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
For not so much cost involved, after market front fork springs could possibly help a lot (Progressive Springs is the name that comes to my mind).

For the rear, there's RaceTech's Gold Valve or after-market ($$$) shock.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
And what exactly are you adjusting? Compression damping? 1100's OEM shock have rebound and preload adjustments. Maybe smaller range then on the 1100?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts