Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi aviator
Muzzy's has a listing for links to lower the ZX-14. I e-mailed them to see if they were applicable to the C-14 but did not get a reply. I also asked if they were developing links for the C-14: same result. Maybe if you tried (fellow American and all that ) you might geta better response.
As a note to using lowering links. It is recommended that you lower the front the same amount as you lower the rear. This, on casual observation,will not be so easy. If you go the fork down tubeside up through the triple tree method, you'll see the handlebar risers will interfere with the tubes unless you put in spacers to lift the risers or you make a detente in the riser ( can you say grinder ) . The other method is to shorten the cartridges. This is a suspension shop job in my opinion and will be expensive.
There may not be a simple answer to the nosebleed height of the C-14 says the 5'8'' 28" inseam rider!!
ICBM

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was looking through another forum and a guy saw two Concours 14 at a dealer somewhere up north. One was a good 2" shorter than the other and when the guy asked, the dealer told him that he had just lowered a ZX14 and decided to put the links on the Concours14 and wola! there it was. If the geometry holds true the ZX14 links are almost 1" longer and should drop the Concours close to 2.5". I orderd a set and will post if they work. Next I do not think I want the trouble of a fork kit but still plan to drop the front an equal amount so I will probably shave the handlebar risers. If it looks to butt ugly I'll have the expense of replacing them but all in all this is probably the best route to go especially since everything can be easilly changed back to factory.

·
Registered
44 Posts
What brand of link did you order: the Muzzy's?
FYI I used shims to lift my risers .75 inches and that gave me room to slide the fork tubes up through the triple tree.It is about the limit you can go without changing the clutch/brake hoses or repositioning the hoses and the junction blocks. It means no grinding but the amount of adjustment is limited.

ICBM

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Don't know if your interested but you could try the straps on the front there are some available for the ZX14 don't know off hand if they are a match or not?? But that would definetly be a reversable method.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just installed the dog bones (Tie Rods). I ordered the same ones that go on the ZX14. They are aprox. 1" longer than whats on the Concours and it dropped my rear end by 3 sollid inches. Its raining so I have not test rode it to check the suspension and make sure it doesn bottom and can still corner sharply. If this works out then my next step will be sliding the forks in the same manner that ICBM used above.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi Aviator
Did you replace the dog bones with "stock kawi " zx-14 units or adjustable aftermarket items? Did you alter the front suspension height?
If so have you experienced any clearance issues with front fender etc on hard braking and so on?
If it all works well i'll follow suit. I love the bike but it's height at very low speeds is not confidence inspiring.
Thanks
ICBM

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.