Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone on here ever had reconstructive wrist surgery (bone grafting)?

I'm going under the knife on the 22nd of December to repair a destroyed scaphoid.

the process is to cut open the wrist, snap the bone where it is joined, shave down both edges, and remove a piece of bone from MY FREAKIN HIP to put in my wrist and screw it all back together....

Then put a cast on it for 6 weeks.

I'm told that my hip will be more painful than my wrist when I come out of surgery.

Just wondering if anyone has undergone this, and can offer any insight.

Thanks, and wish me luck. :buzzsaw

·
Registered
990 Posts
Never had surgery other than tonsils & sinuses so can't help with the bones.

All I can say is hope it all goes well & you have a speedy recovery.

G

·
Hey man,
Can't say I've ever had that kind of work done, but I had flesh eating back in high school and they had to cut everything out of my leg right down to the bone, and it's simply amazing what all the pain killers can do for yah while your body heals, so if them give em' to yah, take em. It's one of the only times we can legally feel that sort of high!

And hey at least your in Canada!! Yay Public Health Care!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys. I'm sure it will be fine... but nervous nonetheless.

I'm very happy that I actually managed to get out riding yesterday. Believe it or not, it was near 13 degrees Celcius in Ontario, and sunny. Got out for what will be the last ride of the season (weather and surgery will limit any other possibilities).

So to all you "year rounders", enjoy riding and do it for those of us who can't.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have never had any surjury on the wrist, but I have had bone surjury on the knee.......bone surjury is not like any other, for the trauma is through out that whole bone, not just where the work was done.....

listen to the doctors instructions carefully and FOLLOW them.....any work done to a bone is painful, so take the pain killers given to you and keep up on them, you know, follow the instructions (every 4-6 hours) don't wait till the pain is so bad that you need them, that's called "break through pain" and basically once that happens, it takes about 2 rounds of pain killers to start to work on that......if you rest, listen to the doctors, and allow your body to heal (time and rest), you will be fine and come out of this with flying colors.

Good luck with the proceedure, but all will be fine, just relax and trust your body.....tension will be your worst enemey. :smile

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Joy. I don't plan on waiting for pain to kick in... I plan on sucker punching it before it gets to me.

Hopefully they give me some good painkillers. LOL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts