Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking and looking for a Suomy dealer in my area that actually stocks these things. I really like the Bostrom stars sorta like the Evil Kenivel helmets of old. But, NO ONE STOCKS THESE DAMN THINGS!:thefinger I've been to Cincy, OH, Milwaukee, WI, and Louisville, KY and I can't find one dealer who actually stocks them.:banghead :banghead :banghead All of them can order one, but if it doesn't fit then there is a restock/shipping fee involved. How can anyone sell what they don't have???? :headscratch What the fuck gives:headscratch eBay is full of Suomy's and they are cheap compared to the other highend lids.

I'm just pissed that I can't try one on with out paying to do it. Does anyone have a suggestion other than giving money away?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Here's what I do:

I go and find whatever brand helmet I am looking for and try that on. It doesn't matter which one it is, just as long as you find the size that fits you from that specific brand. After I get the size I want, I go online shop or order from wherever. It's not 100% perfect, but I'm sure it will help.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's my problem. No one has them in stock to try on....:banghead :headscratch :angry

I shop the exact same way you described.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re-read my post and I need to clarify a bit. No one has any type of Suomy helmet at all.... none, zip, nada, zero

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
try a shoei or arai at a local dealership, then get one of ebay, their fit is very close to a suomy. Remember that these helmets ( esp suomy)feel like they are too tight, but over time the will break in and fit perfect. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Shame - been using Suomy's for the last 8 years and absolutely love them, excellent quality at a good price.

I wouldn't take a gamble on getting one shipped in as the shape of the shell is quite different to most other helmets I've ever used. Fit's me brilliantly but obviously may not be the same for yourself.

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wear an XL in both Arai (current lid) RX7 and Shoei X-11. I tried the Shoei on the other day and loved the fit. The designs are another story. My whole hang up is simple... I wanted to give the Suomy a go to see how they fit my melon. I like their graphics way better and if all else is equal between Arai, Shoei and Suomy the looks would be the final factor of choice. The Shoei and Arai fit me very well, but the graphics are a bit geriatric with exception to the Haga Fire and Ice. Oh well another day in paradise:runaway

·
Registered
494 Posts
That's my problem. No one has them in stock to try on....:banghead :headscratch :angry

I shop the exact same way you described.
The reason they cannot afford to stock them is because people use the shop like that. Try it on then buy it elsewhere. It might cost more at the shop, but you're also paying for the ability to actually try on what you're going to buy.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Suomy is about .5 to a full size smaller than Shoei or Arai.......

·
Registered
275 Posts
i just picked up a icon domain decay. I had the same problem, retail is $390 so no stores stock it. I bought it from ebay, if you buy the helmet direct over the phone you can save the seller ebay fees. The seller told me he would exchange for free at no cost one time if I bought it direct. Email some ebay seller and im sure you can score a similar deal. Luckily when i spoke to him he said if I wear a HJC L a icon XL would be a good fit and sure enough it fits perfect

·
Registered
101 Posts
Love it.... Everybody always says to me "you can't be missed on that" and I tell them "that's the point" I love Kawi GREEN!!!!
That's why I bought orange - hasn't stopped more people than usual trying to take me out in the last couple of months though. Maybe they are blinded by it :lol

With regard to a helmet, a real flashy design won't really help much in being seen. Better than solid black but not as much use as a solid color can be (dependant on what color that is obviously). Have to admit I like Suomy designs though - my current one is a Hodgson replica although strictly speaking it's a Bargy design as opposed to anything Suomy came up with.

·
Registered
275 Posts
how is the comfort with the icon compared to the hjc?
icon = hjc * 100

its lighter, and much more well balanced. Icon's imo are probably the best helmets without spending too much money. Arai's and shoei's are nice but a little too expensive.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well, I finally said F**k it and bought a Shoei x-11. It was on sale and I like graphics, but it still pisses me off that I couldn't try on a Suomy. Maybe I will become a Suomy dealer in the Midwest:headscratch

·
Registered
6 Posts
That's a shame because I love my Suomy. I did have to take a gamble on the fit but I got lucky on the first try. I have the spec 1-r Hodgson Laguna and it looks great with my black bike! You should still try to find one they fit really well....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts