Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a few days ago in the Oil & Lubrication part of the forums. Long story short, I left the oil drain plug out and lost all of my oil. Next day got a new drain plug and oil. It ran fine to my friends house, about 30 miles away. On the way home, I made it two miles before it started knocking. I turned around as soon as I could to get the bike back home. The bike will crank and run and doesn't seem to have lost any power, but is knocking pretty bad. I dropped the engine already. Not sure if I want to dig into it to see what is wrong or take somewhere. The only other options I see is a used engine or just part that current bike and get another used bike. Does anyone have any suggestions? Anybody know what fits into a 2005 ZX6R frame and where to get a engine from a reputable seller?

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
the fact that your knocking is evidence that your motor is pretty much toast (bearings and such) well there are a couple questions you have to ask yourself... Time vs. money? Known vs. unknown?

do you want to spend the time and money to tear down your motor and make it new, possibly spending more money especially if you have to replace expensive components or have someone else do it? or do you want to spend a little less on a used motor and have the possibility of inheriting someone else's problems?

do you want to have your motor done right by either you or someone else and know what you have? or do you want to gamble on a used motor that could last a long time or die tomorrow?

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
personally i rebuilt my own motor, spent about $2500 on parts (new oil pump, connecting rods, bearings, starter clutch, cam and alternator chains and tensioners, and all new gaskets and seals) and labor (machine shop re-plated and honed my cylinders). but now i know i have a pretty much brand new motor that will last me a long time

·
Registered
19 Posts
What a difficult answer You are looking for!!.

I would probably choose to repair my own motor, as long as I will know that parts to replace are best I can get, and that people who would do It knows perfectly what They should do.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have finally decided to just drop money to get a used engine from ebay. I was wondering which one you guys would pick if you needed a new engine..
05 06 KAWASAKI ZX6R ZX6 636 ENGINE MOTOR 2005 2006 OEM | eBay

or

05 06 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R 636 Motor Engine Complete 6k Perfect | eBay

Atleast one of them has a return policy, which is a good thing. I still have the old motor together, so clutch and stator cover aren't a huge deal, I could just swap them. I am quite nervous about buying one of these, sadly no one near me has a zx6r motor or one in a frame I can listen to run.

Also, the 06 ZX6R motor, it will work in a 2005 ZX6R frame along with all the wiring correct?

Thanks everyone for the help! Awful past few days :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts