Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This chick backed her SUV into my 07 zx6r while I was BSing with a friend when stationary and not paying attention. She was going a few mph and hit the pillion peg, the bike was going down but I managed to save it so I was all "its no big deal (funny what a hot girl can do)." A few days later I noticed the pillion pegs didn't look aligned, I took the ass apart a bit and decided to replace the plate that holds the whole pillion foot mount on that side, it looked off. When it arrived I compared the two and my original from-the-factory-piece was very clearly bent. Be glad for cheap aluminum, right?

Wrong. It doesn't spec up to the subframe. I know the original was fucked from its bolts, they are skewed bad (thanks again, cheap aluminum). I had a couple of extra bolts in my toolbox and the subframe is def. bent like 25 degrees. I loosely set the passenger peg, and that is how she sits.

Some say that if I mount her (the bike, chick is gone) to a bike trailer and put a reverse twist on the subframe I might be able to correct the negative torque, but if the frame is that fragile I don't want to do that. I can also get a stock piece off of fleabay for cheap, but I'm concerned about supporting bike thieves.

·
Premium Member
6,582 Posts
Those are your only two options unless you want to buy new. If it were me (I'm an aircraft mechanic with a full sheetmetal fab shop at my disposal) I would attempt to straighten the old one. If it straightens up and there are no tears in the metal, I would use it. If there are tears and you have a friend/relative/acquaintance that welds aluminum I would get it welded. If said welder does it for free I would definitely float them money for a case of beer. You might need their services later and you want to stay in their good graces. But that's just me.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Those are your only two options unless you want to buy new. If it were me (I'm an aircraft mechanic with a full sheetmetal fab shop at my disposal) I would attempt to straighten the old one. If it straightens up and there are no tears in the metal, I would use it. If there are tears and you have a friend/relative/acquaintance that welds aluminum I would get it welded. If said welder does it for free I would definitely float them money for a case of beer. You might need their services later and you want to stay in their good graces. But that's just me.
Thanks, that is what I wanted to hear (try to fix it) and I appreciate your background.

I probably exaggerated the degree of bend. The local forum seems pretty good with people willing to help for food/beer and I have access to the trailer & come-a-long. Maybe get a piece of scrap steel to use as a torsion bar and some steel bolts. I'll look for cracks and integrity on the sub. Thanks again.

lol for bumpfire.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Damn liteweight aluminum!Maybe they should build em out of solid steel.:tard
You'll see what I mean if you lay it down with enough speed or find a mishap such as mine. And aluminum is a rigid metal, this is aluminum alloy. Not complaining as this helps keep cost down, but it does make for a more fragile motorcycle. There was a good article in one of the motorcycle magazines recently (motorcyclist or sportrider) about how a frame can get bent with only a minor fall: it is a price to pay for a lighter machine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts