Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so in the state of indiana there is NO HELMET law, but YOU HAVE to have MIRRORS. this is so backwards and it pisses me off cause i dont use my mirrors cause they are useless when they shake and i actually turn my head.....

what are the laws where u live?

·
sénior BBQ Master
22,270 Posts
It is one million degrees in the summer yet we can't split lanes. Yet word on the street is it is getting close passing.

·
16,062 Posts
Have to wear a helmet.
Have to have at least one mirror.
Have be able to see the license plate and it has to have a plate light for night time.
Can't ride nekked.
Can't exceed the speed limit.
Can't ride recklessly.
Can't split lanes. (not really a big deal, it's not as bad as Cali, here).
Have to have a muffler (but they don't usually care unless it's ridiculous and/or you're being a dickhole).

I don't really have an issue with any of the motor vehicle laws here.
Except maybe the nekked part.

·
VP Whoring
14,930 Posts
Not sure about mirrors here, but i know we dont have a helmet law. Which is damn retarded since we have a seatbelt law.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Riding without mirrors is garbage.

Why you wouldn't want them is beyond me, even if they shake horribly, you can still see someone flying up on your ass at 30 over the speed limit. Not having mirrors on a bike is like riding blind, I don't care how much you say you just turn your head and it makes up for it - it doesn't.

And not having mirrors just means you need a helmet even more, so you could argue the reverse and say that having mirrors ever so slightly reduces the need for it (before people rage and pick that apart, read it in context mind you).

So I don't see any correlation between not requiring a helmet, but requiring mirrors.

·
16,062 Posts
ok so in the state of indiana there is NO HELMET law, but YOU HAVE to have MIRRORS. this is so backwards and it pisses me off cause i dont use my mirrors cause they are useless when they shake and i actually turn my head.....
So, if you HAD to have mirrors on your car, but didn't have to wear your seatbelt,
would that be backwards?
Not trying to change your opinion, just trying to offer a different way to look at it.
Things like helmets and seatbelts, only protect the individual, once the accident has already occurred.
Things like mirrors and turn sigs, etc., help the individual to survey their surroundings, communicate intentions, etc., and help avoid a potential accident. Which would involve other people.
I think all vehicles operated on public roads, should have mirrors and the operator should use them (along with the over-the-shoulder check).
The only place for a bike without mirrors, is a closed course/race track.
IMO.
We all know the SS mirrors suck, but they're better than nothing.
My next bike, I will have bar end mirrors.
Do they look cool?
Not really. But I think it's important to know what's going on, 360, when I'm in traffic. And I can't be flicking my head over my shoulder every 5 seconds.
You can't see right behind you when you do that anyway.
I'm only an advocate of personal protection being LAW, if it decreases my ins premium.
Otherwise, I do it because I'm smart, not because it's the law.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Riding without mirrors is garbage.

Why you wouldn't want them is beyond me, even if they shake horribly, you can still see someone flying up on your ass at 30 over the speed limit. Not having mirrors on a bike is like riding blind, I don't care how much you say you just turn your head and it makes up for it - it doesn't.
This.

When you're looking over your shoulder you aren't looking where you're going. The head check is only to see what mirrors can't. I lost one on a trip away once and it was like suddenly becoming disabled. Instead of having a small blind spot that needed checking occasionally, I had to be looking forward and back at the same time ... which is exactly what you do with mirrors.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts