Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
engine mount bolts while trying to install some frame sliders. Used the correct size hex key driver and everything, and they still managed to strip with even the slightest turn... are these screws made horribly, because i have never had this happen!

anyone have an idea on how to get these suckers outta there?

·
Registered
38 Posts
You need to get a easy out I think thats what its called. The same thing happen to me on the right side engine mount bolt it stripped so my dad got it out with the easy out. Oh and the best time to take them out is when the bike is cold cause the bolts and frame are aluminum so i heard when its hot they expand and they just grab even more.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yeah bolt out kit thats what its called I guess never used them before never had this problem. But yeah they help u just bang it in the stripped bolt and turn and out it comes like butter.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
OES sliders, its not the slider bolt that stripped it the kawi ones... they should have just made them standard bolts instead of hex keys

anyways yea thanks for your help people, im gonna go pick up a kit asap!

i was looking around and should i pick up a spiral set of easy out, or the squared ones?

·
Registered
317 Posts
i was having the same prob...the wrench was starting to slip a little so i stopped. so frame sliders are not installed still..
can you post pics please? that would help me alot..thanks!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I ended up using a chisel and a very large hammer... frame sliders are in.. time for class action against shitty engine mount bolts.. .but there was no sign of locktite or roughed up edges so it came out without stripping anything

·
Registered
144 Posts

this is similiar to the kit i used. but the one i got was onsale at sears for 9.99, regular 19.99 and comes with just 6 different sizes of just the bolt outs like pictured in the last picture. this with a breaker bar will pop that bolt right out everytime

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i went over to sears yesterday, picked up an extractor kit, spiraled ones, drilled my hole, go to hammer it in there like the instructions said. I go to turn it and crack,... the tip broke off the spiral, and its stuck in the bolt, so now im pretty screwed.

Im thinking the only way to get it out now would be to find somoene to spot weld a nut on the head of the bolt so i could use a socket wrench and get it off? what you think about that?

·
Registered
144 Posts
drilled a hole? with the kit i used you just hammer the extractor on there, put a breaker bar w/ a socket on the extractor and pop that sucka out.

the kit i'm talking about, goes on the OUTSIDE of the bolt head. not in the center. It bites down on the head of the bolt and should come out no problem so long as you HAMMER that sucka on there

·
Registered
38 Posts
Man that sucks I hope U get that fixed The we used went inside the bolt but u didnt have to drill just bang it in and use a breaker bar and it came right out. Cant you just drill out the bit that broke.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Drill them out. It's not faulty bolts - they are highly torqued. You gotta heat 'em or you gotta use an impact driver.... Not a big deal get ez-out or some sort of extractor.. Then you'll be fine...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ohhhhh, see i bought the extractor kit that has reversed threading, where you drill a hole with a bit which is size matced on a little chart, then hammer the easy out into the hole, then twist the sucker out, but no, it broke :(

i think i will get the ones that go on the outside, i figured they wouldnt work because its an allen key bolt and not a normal one where you just use a socket

ill probably go down to sears and take use of that craftsman guarantee and return the easy outs and pick up the outside of the bolt ones, i hope they work cause im going through a hell of a lot for frame sliders!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I feel your pain lol. When i bought my exhaust i had only one bolt left on the exhaust plate and yea, it stripped out. I bought a tool to take it off and yea, that bitch broke off in it. After about 8 hours my friend had the idea that was simple and efficeint. Take a hack saw and cut a line in it. then take a hammer and screw driver and hit the bolt out at an angle. That is the only way mine came out. Took 8 hrs to get this one bolt off.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i bought a irwin kit at pep boys that gets stripped bolts out, hammered that thing on there, and a quick turn got them off... i wish i would have done that in the first place!

now im readyyy!

·
Registered
144 Posts
good the hear!! glad you got it off. sometimes you just have to step back and relax and then grab the right tool for the job, lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts