Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got home from the gym today and my engine fan turned on as I pulled up (as always). But there was a weird low frequency noise coming from the engine fans. My bike has over 8000 miles on it, but I can't imagine a bearing going bad in the fan already?

My helmet cam captured the noise pretty well.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok. Once the bike cools down I'll spin each one by hand and see if it is hitting the radiator or has any rough spots in the rotation.

·
Registered
114 Posts
himm never really listen it but it sounds like it might sligtly hitting a little spot! one of them .

·
Registered
773 Posts
I hear the hum you mention, mine does not make that sound. Its possible one of the fan housing bolts is loose?

Also you can press on the fan attachments when it running and see if the noise stops? Watch the fingers though.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
i have aluminum and dual fan setup and i can hear your sounding like it is dragging or contacting something as it spins. mine are loud but fan loud, i would take a closer look, mine doesn't sounds like that either.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I can reproduce this sound easily enough, but I can't seem to figure out why the fans are making it. I have to do spark plugs soon anyways (at almost 9000 miles, so im overdue). I think I'll just take the time to inspect the fan then.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well, I can reproduce this sound easily enough, but I can't seem to figure out why the fans are making it. I have to do spark plugs soon anyways (at almost 9000 miles, so im overdue). I think I'll just take the time to inspect the fan then.
A couple of things to think about!
When the bike is not running, can you spin the fans freely? any play or runout as you spin them?
Is it possible that a small rock has found its way in there causing some imbalance?
Are both fans making the same noise?
Are there any marks on the back of the radiator fins? May be rubbing somewhere.

Neil

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I finally got to look at the fans while doing the spark plugs.

The left fan runs quietly when powered on. It spins freely by hand. If you flick it with your hand while off it will spin for a very long time

The right fan runs with that weird vibration and noise I was experiencing. It has noticeable hard spots in it as you rotate it, and will not free wheel after you spin it. So i'm pretty sure the right fan is biting the dust.

Now, does anyone know how to go about filing a warranty claim for this?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts