Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need input from ZX-14 owners... Sometimes at the back of my engine (near the rear shock) the engine emits somewhat like a valve/tapered knocking. There are times when i increase the rpm to 1500 to 2000rpm, it get noticibly louder but above that rpm, it just dissappears. I consulted my local kawasaki dealer, they confirm with me present even a new bike also has the same emitting sound but softer. Anyone of you notice it on your bike?

Another question is that does 16.5km/litre is considered good fuel consumption or otherwise? I notice that if your terminal speed is 140km and below, it's economical but above that it get roughly gobles up 13litre for 220km. Natural? Need everybody help or opinion on this matter....:banghead

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'm lost on this one. Somebody has got to have an answere on this subject

·
Registered
990 Posts
I wonder if the noise is clutch basket rattle. If it goes when you put it in gear that is most likely what it is. Making sure the injectors are properly synchronised will help reduce the rattle.

Fuel mileage sounds okay. Converting to UK galls & miles it's about 46mpg & 36mpg which for the power available sounds pretty good. MCN UK were averaging 42mpg with their long term loan bike.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Is it just after start up and when its ice cold? Mine makes an ever so slight little "clackity" (odd word I know, but honestly clack is the best way to describe it) sound deep down and slightly behind me, while seated right after start up and only if the bike is bone cold. I personally assume its just a new engine lubbing up in the morning (I'm at 1500 miles). So I don't rev it, and like all my bikes, past and present, I warm them up for 5 mins before I roll out.

Meh, that's all I've got bro.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Engine rattling

Is it just after start up and when its ice cold? Mine makes an ever so slight little "clackity" (odd word I know, but honestly clack is the best way to describe it) sound deep down and slightly behind me, while seated right after start up and only if the bike is bone cold. I personally assume its just a new engine lubbing up in the morning (I'm at 1500 miles). So I don't rev it, and like all my bikes, past and present, I warm them up for 5 mins before I roll out.

Meh, that's all I've got bro.
Sorry for the incomplete info... Actually it happens both, in bone cold and after engine startup. There are a few times, the 'clackity' comes on instantly but most of the times it come on around 1500-2000rpm (not in gears). There was this one time while at a traffic light, i could even hear it thru my full face. For your info i'm using Motul 5000 10W-40 engine oil as the manufacture recommended. I've been wondering, is my engine oil pump a bit faulty and not pumping in the right amount of oil in the crackcase and that's what making the engine rattle?

·
Registered
57 Posts
i think that mileage is awesome.. considering my 250 is supposed to be around 35 mpg~ that means the 14 has better mileage :eek:

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There have been others with this sound.
Here is what they found, not sure if your sound is the same as what smokey's was.
Let me know if this sounds right to you.

http://www.zx14ninja.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=35751&highlight=#35751
Thanks for the info Motormania, I did infact reset both my counter balancer setting, the knocking sound is now lesser but still there if you hear it carefully though around 1500-2000rpm. I can confirm that the knocking sounds comes somewhere between the back of the engine (near the rear shock) to almost to the counter balancer shaft. I confirm this by putting a phillips screwdriver to the case on one end and the other to your ear. You can hear every single noise that it emits.

I have this gutsy feeling that majority of the ZX-14 are having this issue. This is the first model that they introduced and i'm sure the next batch will be better. We are the 'ginnea pig' for the whole process. I just got a new revelation, don't think too much about what is the right sound of your bike. If you do, you won't be able to ride it and be distracted in enjoying life. I don't know about you guys, i don't think to engine is gonna blow while you ride. There is a problem if you notice that the noise is getting louder the higher the rpm/higher mileage. Anyhow, i've made an appointment with a kawasaki dealer in Kuala Lumpur just for confirmation. For your info, after brefly talking to the kawasaki technician on the phone, he assured me the clutch racketting noise is a kawasaki 'trademark'. Not a problem.

Motormania, i owe you a million thanks for the info given. Maybe if you come down to Malaysia, i'll give you a treat. Again, thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the info Motormania, I did infact reset both my counter balancer setting, the knocking sound is now lesser but still there if you hear it carefully though around 1500-2000rpm. I can confirm that the knocking sounds comes somewhere between the back of the engine (near the rear shock) to almost to the counter balancer shaft. I confirm this by putting a phillips screwdriver to the case on one end and the other to your ear. You can hear every single noise that it emits.

I have this gutsy feeling that majority of the ZX-14 are having this issue. This is the first model that they introduced and i'm sure the next batch will be better. We are the 'ginnea pig' for the whole process. I just got a new revelation, don't think too much about what is the right sound of your bike. If you do, you won't be able to ride it and be distracted in enjoying life. I don't know about you guys, i don't think to engine is gonna blow while you ride. There is a problem if you notice that the noise is getting louder the higher the rpm/higher mileage. Anyhow, i've made an appointment with a kawasaki dealer in Kuala Lumpur just for confirmation. For your info, after brefly talking to the kawasaki technician on the phone, he assured me the clutch racketting noise is a kawasaki 'trademark'. Not a problem.

Motormania, i owe you a million thanks for the info given. Maybe if you come down to Malaysia, i'll give you a treat. Again, thanks.

Scavenger,

I am happy the info was helpfull. I agree with you about not worrying too much about the noise. Unless it gets worse, just ride and enjoy.

Happy riding

1 - 9 of 9 Posts