Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm stranded as we speak in some small town at a closed gas station about 20 miles from home. I noticed my 07 p model start to lose electrical power. Lights started dimming out of nowhere and then the electronics just died and so did the bike. Any ideas? Can someone who has an idea call me to help me troubleshoot? 3g out here is damn near non existent so 4g is out of the question. Took me about 20 minutes to get this post up so I'd rather talk on the phone if someone can help. 2256781196. Names Henry.

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
Sometimes wasteful spending is the right answer, where time is more precious than money.

There's the assumption it's your stator, however based on battery age it could be an old battery that shorted out. I'd replace the battery with a new unit for now. Hopefully that will have enough juice to get the bike home and if it does without any loss of electrical power, that was it. Otherwise, it's probably your stator.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I'm guessing stator as well. I can start it every 20 minutes or so, go a mile and then have to stop and wait. The battery is brand new, about 4 days old so I know that's not it. I guess the alt decided to die in the middle of the ride and I didn't know it until everything dimmed and the bike died. Now I'm a few miles down from where I was and I'm waiting on a tow truck. This sucks because it was my first ride with any real distance to see how the old girl acts and I was having a blast. Can I rebuild the alt or should I just replace it?

·
Registered
16 Posts
happened to me as well after i put it back on rode. G o as far as u can, but dont get stuck somewhere were no one can get u or have no phone service. Damn i feel ur pain, had to call my family with the pickup thnk god. Hopefully ur on the shoulder if any. I was stuck with no shoulder now that was a scary experience

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
happened to me as well after i put it back on rode. G o as far as u can, but dont get stuck somewhere were no one can get u or have no phone service. Damn i feel ur pain, had to call my family with the pickup thnk god. Hopefully ur on the shoulder if any. I was stuck with no shoulder now that was a scary experience
Luckily the bike died and had enough momentum to coast to a gas station that was 30 feet up the road. Here's the run down. I have roadside assistance with Verizon so I called them. Took them an hour and a half to show up. During that time, the gas station I was at closed so it was nice and dark out in bum fuck Georgia at a random ass gas station. A pair of stray dogs ran up on me with noone else around and all I had to defend myself was a pocket knife and a philips head screw driver. lol Luckily, they were weak ass strays so they ran up, growled, barked, and then left. 30 minutes later, the truck shows up. Load up the bike and we leave. While on the road, he gets a call to do a job of opening a door for a lady and asked if I minded if we stopped so he could do that since it was on the way. I didn't mind after being in that damn gas station parking lot for an hour and a half. After we leave there, we start heading to my house. On the way, the bike falls over!!!:banghead:banghead:banghead Not knowing what to think, we pull over and pick the bike up. Little to no damage, or so I thought. After we get the bike back up and tied down the right way, I look through the back glass and notice that the left side air duct is really messed up. I guess when it fell, the corner is what hit first and crimped the air duct. I called the company and talked to the owner. He's gonna come by tomorrow and take a look at the damage so they can take care of it. I have mechanical damage AND now I have cosmetic damage, talk about a horrible night!!!

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dang man sorry to hear this.
Thanks bro. Hopefully, the tow truck company uses their insurance to cover the incident ya know. I already had a slightly bent clip on and I have a replacement, just haven't had time to install it. Should I say that it's included in the damage? It was like that when I bought the bike unfortunately but I knew it was an easy fix but hey, if they can cover that too then why not right? You can see where the bar end hit the ground so the evidence is there so that it's possible, just don't know if I should take them for that as well seeing as how I got the short end of the stick with this whole thing.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Ok on the 7's there is no "stator" per-say but there is an alternator. The regulator and rectifier are both located in the end of the alternator. Once you get the bike started again, put a multimeter on the battery. Should be around 14 volts with the bike running. Now start to bring up the engine RPM's till about 10k and watch the voltage carefully. it should not vary by more than .5 volts. It should also not pass 14.5 as a maximum. If it does your problem is in the regulator/rectifier. These parts are at least $250 each so I would be looking for a good used alternator. Start there and report.

Sorry to hear it fell over. That just sucks.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok on the 7's there is no "stator" per-say but there is an alternator. The regulator and rectifier are both located in the end of the alternator. Once you get the bike started again, put a multimeter on the battery. Should be around 14 volts with the bike running. Now start to bring up the engine RPM's till about 10k and watch the voltage carefully. it should not vary by more than .5 volts. It should also not pass 14.5 as a maximum. If it does your problem is in the regulator/rectifier. These parts are at least $250 each so I would be looking for a good used alternator. Start there and report.

Sorry to hear it fell over. That just sucks.
Yeah, I was just reading my Haynes manual and it say's pretty much the same thing. I'm gonna check it tomorrow after giving the battery a nice overnight trickle charge. If that happens, I'm gonna open the back end of the alt and see if anything looks crazy before I pull it off. If not, I'm gonna pull it off and open it up as much as I can to see if I can fix anything that may need fixing or take it to an alt repair place to see if they can help. I'm a dealer for a high output alternator company called Singer Alternators so I'm gonna also hit up the owner and see if he can rebuild my alt for me, maybe that could help to keep the cost down and beef up the alt a little. Who know's but I'll report back with anything I find.

Yeah, it sucks but at least it didn't fall off the truck! lol At least I get a new front fairing if everything goes my way and possibly a new clip on. :mfclap

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
From what I've read anything that uses a kush drive setup should work. I know the B model 9's use the same alternator.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Sorry to hear of your bad luck. I had a very similar incident years ago on a Goldwing I had. Coming back from a trip to the Grand Canyon, I had been riding all day & into the night when all my lights went dim. I stopped at a 24 hour mini-mart/gas station in Joplin, Mo. I went right to my battery. It wasn't a new one like yours of course. Every cell in the battery was way-way low on water. Filled it up & I was on my way. Good luck getting it fixed.

·
Registered
141 Posts
also check the altenator conector mine would start to get dim sometimes then work fine. i found the conector was burnt and would cause trouble until i replaced it.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
also check the altenator conector mine would start to get dim sometimes then work fine. i found the conector was burnt and would cause trouble until i replaced it.
I have a box full of spare parts so if I find out its just the connector, I'll just keep the alt I order as a backup and fix the plug. I'll check it this weekend though when I have time to tear it down. Gonna have some parts for sale soon though for a 96-03 to get rid of some stuff since its starting to pile up on me.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Yeah a 94 should bolt right up. I believe the cases are the same 94 up.. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah a 94 should bolt right up. I believe the cases are the same 94 up.. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
I sure hope so, I just got a used one for $80 shipped. Honestly, I'm hoping it's the plug like it was mentioned before so I can ride my bike to a car show this weekend since my car isn't ready.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Worst case you can take the internals out of the 94 casing and put them in yours. Usually it's the RR that go bad.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Luckily the bike died and had enough momentum to coast to a gas station that was 30 feet up the road. Here's the run down. I have roadside assistance with Verizon so I called them. Took them an hour and a half to show up. During that time, the gas station I was at closed so it was nice and dark out in bum fuck Georgia at a random ass gas station. A pair of stray dogs ran up on me with noone else around and all I had to defend myself was a pocket knife and a philips head screw driver. lol Luckily, they were weak ass strays so they ran up, growled, barked, and then left. 30 minutes later, the truck shows up. Load up the bike and we leave. While on the road, he gets a call to do a job of opening a door for a lady and asked if I minded if we stopped so he could do that since it was on the way. I didn't mind after being in that damn gas station parking lot for an hour and a half. After we leave there, we start heading to my house. On the way, the bike falls over!!!:banghead:banghead:banghead Not knowing what to think, we pull over and pick the bike up. Little to no damage, or so I thought. After we get the bike back up and tied down the right way, I look through the back glass and notice that the left side air duct is really messed up. I guess when it fell, the corner is what hit first and crimped the air duct. I called the company and talked to the owner. He's gonna come by tomorrow and take a look at the damage so they can take care of it. I have mechanical damage AND now I have cosmetic damage, talk about a horrible night!!!
Man I feel your pain. Funny on how I went on my own adventure last night too.
I was stranded in the middle of the highway. I start pushing it home because I thought i was only 9 miles away (I didnt really have money for towing and it was too late in the night to call my only friend who has a trailer as he has early work.) Get to a sign that says my city is 25 miles away! Was going to see if the bike would start and notice the key is no longer in the ignition and not in my pocket. Last time I used it was to open the passenger seat. Guess I left it in the keyslot and it fell off as i was pushing it down the highway. Retrace my steps with no flashlight and cant use my phone for light as its about to die. Find my key on the ground about an hour later. Phone luckily had enough juice to google and call a local tow company. On the back of the truck one of the straps ripped off a piece of metal off my bike. Terrible placement of the hook. And when I finnaly get home, someone parked in front of my garage thats in an alley and I couldnt get in.

I was there all with you. :banghead:banghead:banghead

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Man I feel your pain. Funny on how I went on my own adventure last night too.
I was stranded in the middle of the highway. I start pushing it home because I thought i was only 9 miles away (I didnt really have money for towing and it was too late in the night to call my only friend who has a trailer as he has early work.) Get to a sign that says my city is 25 miles away! Was going to see if the bike would start and notice the key is no longer in the ignition and not in my pocket. Last time I used it was to open the passenger seat. Guess I left it in the keyslot and it fell off as i was pushing it down the highway. Retrace my steps with no flashlight and cant use my phone for light as its about to die. Find my key on the ground about an hour later. Phone luckily had enough juice to google and call a local tow company. On the back of the truck one of the straps ripped off a piece of metal off my bike. Terrible placement of the hook. And when I finnaly get home, someone parked in front of my garage thats in an alley and I couldnt get in.

I was there all with you. :banghead:banghead:banghead
That blows man!!! I guess I was happy that my tow truck driver used ratchet straps to tie mine down and wrapped it around the forks so no metal to metal contact. Your probably never towed a bike. Hope you get yours squared away with the tow truck company. I'm working with mine to get it resolved, hopefully I know something tomorrow. One of my best investments to date is road side assistance that Verizon offers. Free for up to 10 miles and $3 a mile after that.

Did you find out why your bike broke down?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts