Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI GUYS
i just took the forks off my bike since i m rebuilding it because of my accident.
is there anyway to check if they are straight enough to ride them again without taking them in to some frame shop?

i took em in to some dearleship and they just took a look at them and said they looked ok and as long as i can slide the axel back in then they should be fine..............

i was just wondering if there s anything i can do to check em again cuz i don't know if i trust those guys

·
Registered
264 Posts
i took em in to some dearleship and they just took a look at them and said they looked ok and as long as i can slide the axel back in then they should be fine........
I am not so sure of that. They can still slide freely and its possible to have a small bend in them. You could bolt them back into the triple trees and take a measurement accross at the lowest point where the axle slides in. Rotate one fork 45, 90, etc degrees and measuring each time. Continue all your measurements and then rotate the other fork and measure the same way again. Not sure if that would be super accurate, just throwing an idea out there.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ya thanx..............that sounds good

·
Registered
990 Posts
Similar to what Triple said, but prop the ends of the fork legs on something solid, preferably so they are sat in a sort of vee block & fix a rod of some sort to a solid base so that the rod is pointed at the mid point of the fork legs & rotate the fork around, if there is a difference you will see it as you turn it, as a gap will show at the rod end or the leg will push against the rod.

For accuracy try to hire a dial gauge instead of using a rod, any variation will show up on the gauge. If it is out dismantle & check the outer & inner fork pipe separately to see which is out of true.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.