Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mounted a steer damper from an 07 zx10 on my 06 636. I was able to machine some mounts and make it look it was made for the bike. There is no binding and the damper moves smoothly. My question is, how stiff should my steering be? The damper has 20 clicks of adjustment.:headscratch

·
Registered
275 Posts
I mounted a steer damper from an 07 zx10 on my 06 636. I was able to machine some mounts and make it look it was made for the bike. There is no binding and the damper moves smoothly. My question is, how stiff should my steering be? The damper has 20 clicks of adjustment.:headscratch
im not really but if i were to guess I would say its mostly preference on what you like and how you ride

·
Registered
15 Posts
If it is an Ohlins dampner, the needle is hallow, so fluid passes through without any effect on steering. You can get the unit serviced with a "real" needle and it will work like an aftermarket unit does. Otherwise it is just there to look good.

Tim

·
Registered
494 Posts
If it is an Ohlins dampner, the needle is hallow, so fluid passes through without any effect on steering. You can get the unit serviced with a "real" needle and it will work like an aftermarket unit does. Otherwise it is just there to look good.

Tim
That makes no real sense to me.

The whole idea of the steering damper on the 10 is that it won't have any effect on steering at slow speeds. At high speed the "needle" which allows only a certain amount of fluid to pass through at a given time will prevent high speed oscillation of the front end.

Which is to say it won't affect a slow steady movement. But it will resist a sudden shock - say the precursor to a tank slapper.

As for where to set it? What I'd do is start out at the lowest setting and dial it up one click at a time until you find something you're comfortable with. Find a road with a couple of bumpy corners and ride it, then adjust, then ride, then adjust. Dialing in your steering damper will be similar to getting your suspension adjusted. It's all trial and error, make notes detailed notes on what changes were made and when you made them then the result of that change.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Sev. I do some track days but mostly canyons on the wknds. I'll put the info to good use.

RACERATE
(racer 8)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts