Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was riding on the highway following a suv towing a small trailer like the ones the lawn guys use. It wasn't loaded too much so it didn't seem like something might fall out. As a general rule I always hate following anything that has a potential to fall out of a vehicle and cross my path. I had just caught up to this suv and decided to not follow behind him and got into the right hand lane just passing him a little. He ends up getting into the very left hand lane on a 4 lane highway. About 20 seconds after I pass him I see to my left the trailer he is pulling pop off the hitch and flip over. I speed up as much as I can to ensure that the contents of the trailer and the trailer itself doesn't get close. Thank goodness there was two lanes between us and I was just a bit ahead of this trailer. It makes you realize how vulnerable you can be on two wheels. Stay away from the trailers guys. You never know what might happen.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Glad you weren't injured. It definitely pays to ask "what if..."

·
Administrator
58,646 Posts
I think trailers are the most neglected item for maintenance. I bet construction ones are the worst. I doubt anyone cares about tire pressure or if they're more than 7 years old(rule of thumb for safe life term).
I see more boat trailers with blown out tires. I even saw one blow out ahead of me. Truck and trailer coming towards me and I see a puff of smoke and tire shreds to pieces. I literally had chunks of rubber land next me while cruising 70 mph.

·
11,782 Posts
I think trailers are the most neglected item for maintenance. I bet construction ones are the worst. I doubt anyone cares about tire pressure or if they're more than 7 years old(rule of thumb for safe life term).
I see more boat trailers with blown out tires. I even saw one blow out ahead of me. Truck and trailer coming towards me and I see a puff of smoke and tire shreds to pieces. I literally had chunks of rubber land next me while cruising 70 mph.
Yeah, I see it all the time. It drives me nuts to see things like stump grinders and cement mixers with extremely flat tires with the cords showing bouncing around behind some beater pickup at 70mph on the highway.

·
VP Whoring
14,930 Posts
Glad your ok. Just a couple days ago there were two mattresses blocking two of three lanes on the highway bridge out here. Was just waiting for someone to hit me trying to avoid them.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
I never follow tractor-trailers, trucks with a load of chit in the back of any kind, or anything with a damn trailer...period. We were a ways behind a truck that was full of crap, and as he was going around a bend, he loses a car gas tank in the lane we are in, and it slides to a stop way ahead of us.....the guy had no clue he was losing stuff all over the road until I pulled up next to him at the next light and flagged him down.

·
Registered
478 Posts
+1 stay away

That is a damn good idea! I was riding next to and behind a truck pulling a trailer with 2 honda pilot dune buggies and 3 bikes. The ball on the hitch was to small for the trailer hitch and it came up and off. Lucky there was safety chains and they were connected the truck and the trailer started swerving back and forth. my eyes about popped out of my head when i saw that! i was just to the left of the truck and trailer. and i will tell you i got away real fast.

·
Registered
478 Posts
That mattress brings to mind another accident 2 weeks ago where a guy with a trailer had a mattress on the back and it flew of and 10 minutes later a guy on his motorcycle hit it and died! He finally saw the news about it and turned himself in and was cited for not securing the load. He claimed it was strapped down with 1 tie down. The motorcyclist was not wearing a helmet!!

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=20721162

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
I bet you see alot of that with the californian's coming over to use the lake. I've heard so many good stories about boats/trailers; my grandpa works at the marina.

·
Registered
184 Posts
About ten years ago I was working on a roof about 100m from a highway. Heard and awful screech and crunch and saw a tractor minus the tralier hard on the brakes come from behind a treeline. Driver jumped out and RAN back the way he had come from. We couldnt see because of the trees but we knew something bad happened. It was a very rural area and help would be at least 15 minutes away so we got down and went to see wtf. The 53' trailer had come off just entering a slight corner, crossed the road between two oncoming cars, peeled back maybe 40 feet of guardrail, went over an embankment, took out a telphone pole and proceeded to spill its load of wood chips all over the place. Made for an interesting morning! Buddy have driven probably 20 or 25 km from the mill before it came off.

·
Registered
147 Posts
That mattress brings to mind another accident 2 weeks ago where a guy with a trailer had a mattress on the back and it flew of and 10 minutes later a guy on his motorcycle hit it and died! He finally saw the news about it and turned himself in and was cited for not securing the load. He claimed it was strapped down with 1 tie down. The motorcyclist was not wearing a helmet!!

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=20721162
While that guy might have lived had he been wearing his gear, I still think they should have charged the doucher that dropped the mattress with involuntary manslaughter at the very least. And for that matter, they should apply the same charge to our highway engineers every time someone dies on I-215... just because they repaved it with cement.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I witnessed an accident a few years back in which a Honda Accord was following a semi-truck/trailer down a hill. The truck driver was using his brakes when suddenly the right rear trailer brake drum busted! A curved piece about a foot long and 6-8 inches wide went through the Honda's windshield & embedded itself in the backseat. Went between the driver & his wife. If it would of hit either one, it would have killed them.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I witnessed an accident a few years back in which a Honda Accord was following a semi-truck/trailer down a hill. The truck driver was using his brakes when suddenly the right rear trailer brake drum busted! A curved piece about a foot long and 6-8 inches wide went through the Honda's windshield & embedded itself in the backseat. Went between the driver & his wife. If it would of hit either one, it would have killed them.
A local biker died recently when a big piece of metal came off a semi. Went over top of a car and smoked the biker. No helmet. Probably didn't matter in his case.cruiser bike.

Sent from my Desire HD using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,675 Posts
Saw a rider this morning on 380 with no gear on. Was starting to rain. I was wtf.

To some people its a rocket.
To others it's freedom. (zx9r)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts