Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
battery not charging checked the stator right at the out put wires i understand at idle it should be at 25 vac and as you raise the idle it could go up to almost 100vac well at idle i have around 8.5-8.8 and at 4 grand it only goes up to 13.5-13.7

is this a pretty sure sign the stator is shot

·
Premium Member
15,095 Posts
Yep.

It'd help if you told us what you're working on.

But you're pretty much gonna have to rip er apart and see what the problem is.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah that would help huh, 99 zx9r, ive already replaced the battery and a brand new voltage reg/rec. and like i said before im testing the leads right out of the stator and and the results are the same out of all three leads

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Wait a minute.. A 9r has an alternator. If you are checking the voltage at the plug and you are getting 13.8vDC, then you are fine.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
There has to be something else. Now if you have changed the RR, and the battery and all of your battery cables are clean and tight. The only thing left to replace is the armature and brushes in the alternator. However if you are getting 13.8 at the plug then I would check the wiring.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if it had a stator would it still have an altenator? and im checking the wires coming right out of the stator cover and im getting 8.5-8.8 vac at idle and around 4 and half grand getting around 13.5-13.7

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Voltage is fine. Look elsewhere. Also the alternator has a kick and a cut off. It kicks on at 1500 or higher and should have a cut at 8-10k. What is your idle? Here's a trick. Put your meter on the battery, and start the engine. Next raise the idle just enough to get the field wire to kick on the charging system.

·
Premium Member
15,095 Posts
Christi, he is checking it at the wires before the R/R so it will still be putting out AC voltage. 13.5VAC is pretty low.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok so 92k1500 from what ive put up would you agree stator is shot im thinking that is the problem and as long as that sounds reasonable im goin to order one on friday

·
Premium Member
15,095 Posts
I'd open it up before I order anything. By looking at the piarts fische it could be a couple things.

Pull the stator cover off and check everything out first. It will probably be fairly obvious what the problem is when you get in there.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok what are some things that im going to be looking for once i get in there and do i have to goany further than behind the stator cover

·
Premium Member
15,095 Posts
Shouldn't have to go any deeper. It's all out there in the open from what I can tell.

And it is usually really obvious when you look at it. When you get it apart take pictures of everything and post them up here.

·
Quinton Phuckin Tarantino
18,914 Posts
Christi, he is checking it at the wires before the R/R so it will still be putting out AC voltage. 13.5VAC is pretty low.
+1 another test you can do is check for resistance between each of the three stator wires and ground. If you get any reading your stator is shot. Also you can test resistance between the three wires the resistance should be equal between all three wires .

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
alright i took three pictures but can find my transfer cable and i sent them to my email and its taking forever, but as far as i can tell it all looks good there is a little bit of rust on the outside of im guessing the flywheel that rides around the stator on the inside of what im calling the flywheel there are indentations the whole way around on the inside but other than that everything is tight and nothings broke or missing teeth

·
Premium Member
15,095 Posts
The little indentations on the inside of the flywheel are the separations between the magnets. The whole inside of it should be magnetic. If it isn't, that's your problem.

Is there any physical damage or burn marks on the stator?

Are the wires corroded any if there is some exposed wire?

How do the plugs look?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
good point about being magnetic the stator does look a little burnt but not sure if that could be the coating or not i will be right back gonna check to see if its magnetic

·
Premium Member
15,095 Posts
Is it like every other divided section is magnetic? If so that's normal. They should be alternating polarities.

I'm gonna wait for pics now. lol

1 - 20 of 54 Posts