Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Just curious. After I ride my bike for a little while and get it warmed up, my bike does not want to restart. At first the starter wont even turn over, it will click for a while. Then the starter will start turning the engine after I wait a few minutes. After about 15 to 20 minutes it will start back up and run fine. Any ideas about how to fix it?

Thanx:crazyloco

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey guys,
Just curious. After I ride my bike for a little while and get it warmed up, my bike does not want to restart. At first the starter wont even turn over, it will click for a while. Then the starter will start turning the engine after I wait a few minutes. After about 15 to 20 minutes it will start back up and run fine. Any ideas about how to fix it?

Thanx:crazyloco
check the starter solenoid. depending on the year of the bike, it could need to be replaced due to corosion or other. the contacts inside may be getiing hot and separating. relatively cheap fix. try grounding the contacts together with a screwdriver or metal object when it doesnt start. hit the starter button, and give it a little gas. just an idea, im no mechanic. speaking from experience.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey I know this is an older post, but did you get that problem resolved? I am experiencing the same thing and was wondering if you figured it out. My bike gets hard to start after a nice lil ride but starts perfectly when its cold. Weird. Let me know if you found the problem. Thanks.

·
Registered
432 Posts
It could also be the armature bushings. Typically the excess clearanc resultant of worn bushings will cause the it to come in contact with the field winding coils. This only occurs after the starter has warmed. Usually the startter will work normally after a half hour or more 'cool down' period.

Of course as ZX7Rhino mentioned, there always is the possibility of a solenoid problem...broken winding wire, corrosion on contacts ,or dirty bore.

·
Registered
438 Posts
My 97 had an issue where it wouldnt start at random times. It ended up being the run/kill switch. I leave it in the run position now and just use the key to turn it off and no problems since, except when someone else flipped the switch on me. Doesnt sound like this is your problem but it might be sumthin to remember later down the road.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I called the previous owner, who was very very knowledgeable about the bike. He said it did that because it runs slightly rich because of the jet kit and full exhaust. He taught me how to work the throttle when starting warm and it hasn't happened since.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts