Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone, As you can see im new to the boards, but not to forums. Anyway to the point... Its a 00 Zx12R with a power commander pc3r, full muzzy Exhaust, emission block offs light mods.

A couple weeks ago we were putting in an aftermarket tail light and we couldnt get it started, turns out the battery was dead, so we charged it. Once it was charged we couldnt get it to run but one time and it run to opperating temp. and shut it off, than that was it.

We are thinking that it might be the power commander, although it is less than a year old, it is by the taillight and could have knocked somthing loose¿ We are going to chech the plugs to see if they are fouled.

Basically im looking for Any other smart responses to the problem, Thanks for anything!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi Red,... If you have the original battery,it may be the battery,... you could try loadtesting it to see if that is the case,if it is ok, try charging the battery,putting the old tail light back in,check all ground connections to the light AND power commander and try starting the bike to see what happens. This will either eliminate the new tail light as the problem or confirm that it is. I`m assuming that the bike was running ok prior to the installation of the new tail light.You could also consider disconecting/bypassing the power commander to see if that is in fact the problem, but in my humble opinion,I would just try one thing at a time,so you can without a doubt,know what was causing the snag that you presently have.Good luck.
P.S. Make sure that there is gas in the tank Ed.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Are you saying when you try to start the bike that it will crank over but not start or that it won't crank?

BTW. I have found that the ECU actually measures the voltage supply and if it is too low it will refuse to start the bike. Unlike an older bike that will crank over slower and slooowwwer and sssssssslower till the battery dies the -12 will just play dead when the battery voltage drops below a certain level.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah thanks a ton guys...Yeah im not sure, it isnt the volts, i charged the battery, and actually pulled it out of the bike, and left the charger on while i TRRRY to start it...i dont think its the plugs because it did run solid for 15 minutes but then i decided to shut it off hoping it was fine again, and it didnt start...motor wise its fine...runs good, doesnt seem to rich or lean....i think it is my pcIIIr...not sure though, i am going to disconnect that first, plug in my original stuff...then if that isnt it check the plugs i suppose....i have gas...and my kill switch works fine, along with my clutch sensor...soooooo anyone have any other ideas....ill let you guys know what it once i find out...:eek:hno

·
Registered
2 Posts
Non starter

Hi am newbie too, have got exactly the same problem. Stripped the back end of the bike down to work on the rear light now it wont start. The fi light just flashes on the clocks. Plugs were not fouled up they were dry, no fuel. Any help would be great.:headscratch

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ahhhh Ha!

Okay guys here it is, i did my fair bit of research, and i was stumped...in my case it was ridiculously easy and it wasn't my fault. Anyway, it was simply my power commander. If you have a Power commander try and completely removing it from your bike. I did that and it popped right over. I decided to plug it back in, and that was indeed the problem. I hope you have read this in case this is your problem too, i was bashing my brain out trying to figure it out. Again, thanks a ton for your guys' support with this. Sorry it took so long to follow up. So my suggestion is fuel system and start easy, PCIII usb was my downfall. If it does pop over without it, thats your problem. dyno jet sent me a new one with my custom map on it and all. for no charge. It cost me 5 bucks to send out and that's it. Like i said, hope your problem is either fixed or as simple as mine was. Good luck!:runaway

1 - 10 of 10 Posts