Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried looking around in these forums, and although I've found people with similar problems, none seem to exactly match what's been going on with my '05 636 (no mods). I bought the bike used in Nov '08, and I replaced the battery in spring '09. I rode all season in '09 with no problems. I ride it about twice a month in winter weather, to keep it happy and charged.

First week of March, tried to start her up. Dash lights came on like usual, but battery clicked several times when I pressed the electric start. I ran into this before on my old EX500, so I just knew the battery was dead and needed charged. Sat it on the trickle charger overnight, started up beautifully the next day. Rode it nearly daily in March, until one fateful day a week ago.

I went to work in the morning, she rode smoothly as usual. I went to leave work 10 hours later, and when I put the key in the ignition, and switched to "on", and the dash barely lit up. I noticed the clock was incorrect. The dash lights would all blink together, and there was a clicking noise coming from near the fuel pump. I figured the battery was REALLY dead (weird that it would happen after working just fine that morning) and had a friend help me pop start it. She rode fine for about 15 minutes, but then the dash lights started flickering (while I was mid-ride at 40mph) and then everything just shut off. Pop started it a second time to get it home.

So I thought perhaps there was a short somewhere, and I took off the battery and charged it overnight. Immediately after I plugged it into the charger, the charger read that it was already full charged. Checked with a volt meter, and it reads a full 12.4 volts.

Now when I put the key in, turn it to on, the dash lights all flicker and go nuts, and every once in a while, will act "normal" by staying on, and I hear the fuel pump priming. But the moment I press the electric start button, there is one click (from the battery it sounds like) and the entire dash turns off. If I don't touch anything after this, and give it a few minutes, the dash will go crazy again, then stay on solid.

When the dash "goes crazy" I also notice a clicking noise near the fuel pump. Is that the starter solenoid that's right there? When the bike "calms down" and starts warming up normally, that stops clicking and the fuel pump primes.

And yes, I admit, I am a n00b, just looking for some help from the experts. Please let me know if I can provide any other information that could assist in the diagnosis of my poor girl.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
5,933 Posts
Have you checked the voltage on the battery when it is connected and you try to start it?
12.4 volts with no load on the battery doesn't really tell you anything. It needs to hold about 10 volts with the starter button pushed and a full load on it. If not then you may have a bad battery.
I am not saying that is your only possibility here, but that would be the first thing to eliminate.
Or you could just take the battery somewhere they could load test it for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll try that this evening, thanks.

My concern would be now, why would my battery be dead? I've only had it one year! I've been riding just fine the past 3 weeks. It started up no problem only 10 hours prior to the first sign of a problem.

If my current battery went bad, I'd like to know WHY after only being a year old. If I have to buy a new battery now, I'd like to know that this one won't die after a season.

·
Premium Member
5,933 Posts
Sometimes you get a dud. That's why they come with a warranty. On the other hand you could certainly could have another problem. Possible charging problem, possible short, or loose connection. It is just that you need to first be sure the battery is good before you can test some of these other things IMO.
Good luck and let us know what you find.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So while the dash is "freaking out" and whatever it is next to the fuel pump is clicking, the voltage reads between 5 and 6 volts. Once it "calms down", the voltage reads 12v. I let it sit for a minute or two - everything is dandy. That's when I press the electric start button, and then it reads down to 4v, single click by the battery, then goes nuts again.

·
Premium Member
5,933 Posts
Yeah that battery is dead. Even completly dead they can read over 12 volts with no draw on them. Also if a battery fries in a particular way, it will show full charge to the charger.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I may have left my amp on over night, If I did this more that likely would have killed my battery. This morning I went to start the bike and the speedo lights went nuts and flashed like crazy then stopped. My bike will not start nor do I hear a click. I do have a weak headlight and my driving light come on but are very weak. I have had a trickle charger on now for 6 hours and there has been no change at all. Is it possible that I could have weakened the battery so much that it needs overnight to regain a full charge?

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have a 2000 zx9 that has power but wont start

it doesn't make any noise when I start it.. just replaced the sillonoid but the only way I can startit is by us
ing a screwdriver on the silonoid then pushing the start button. can someone tell me what could be the prob

·
7,179 Posts
Have you replaced the battery? You clearly have a dead cell or an internal short. You can confirm it by taking it to a battery place and have them use a load tester on it. Voltage doesn't always mean everything. You have to load test to really know what is up with the battery.

As far as jumping the solenoid, you have load loss when pushing the start button. On a bad battery it is enough to not trip the starer. By jumping the solenoid you are running straight from the battery to the starter, so much less load.

Get a new battery, then let us know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've tried looking around in these forums, and although I've found people with similar problems, none seem to exactly match what's been going on with my '05 636 (no mods). I bought the bike used in Nov '08, and I replaced the battery in spring '09. I rode all season in '09 with no problems. I ride it about twice a month in winter weather, to keep it happy and charged.

First week of March, tried to start her up. Dash lights came on like usual, but battery clicked several times when I pressed the electric start. I ran into this before on my old EX500, so I just knew the battery was dead and needed charged. Sat it on the trickle charger overnight, started up beautifully the next day. Rode it nearly daily in March, until one fateful day a week ago.

I went to work in the morning, she rode smoothly as usual. I went to leave work 10 hours later, and when I put the key in the ignition, and switched to "on", and the dash barely lit up. I noticed the clock was incorrect. The dash lights would all blink together, and there was a clicking noise coming from near the fuel pump. I figured the battery was REALLY dead (weird that it would happen after working just fine that morning) and had a friend help me pop start it. She rode fine for about 15 minutes, but then the dash lights started flickering (while I was mid-ride at 40mph) and then everything just shut off. Pop started it a second time to get it home.

So I thought perhaps there was a short somewhere, and I took off the battery and charged it overnight. Immediately after I plugged it into the charger, the charger read that it was already full charged. Checked with a volt meter, and it reads a full 12.4 volts.

Now when I put the key in, turn it to on, the dash lights all flicker and go nuts, and every once in a while, will act "normal" by staying on, and I hear the fuel pump priming. But the moment I press the electric start button, there is one click (from the battery it sounds like) and the entire dash turns off. If I don't touch anything after this, and give it a few minutes, the dash will go crazy again, then stay on solid.

When the dash "goes crazy" I also notice a clicking noise near the fuel pump. Is that the starter solenoid that's right there? When the bike "calms down" and starts warming up normally, that stops clicking and the fuel pump primes.

And yes, I admit, I am a n00b, just looking for some help from the experts. Please let me know if I can provide any other information that could assist in the diagnosis of my poor girl.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Save me trawling through the above post's start from the Beginning and let us know exactly what the problem is.

Also:
Year of your Motorcycle and how many Miles has the Bike done ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am having an issue with a similar thing, the ignition lights come on and flick straight off when I turn the key, brand new battery with a full charge, bike runs perfectly as have just rebuilt it and been riding it for a month with no issues, can't find any wiring faults or continuity problems. I am assuming this is either down to the solenoid or the ignition switch. Any help or ideas?

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's a ZX6R F3 1997 Ninja, 60k miles, not as though it matters as I rebuilt it a couple months ago and have been riding it everyday. Nothing wrong with wiring or the battery, I have checked.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.