Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys any one help please?? ,brought a 7r low miles @15k, so before purchased i heard it running and it sounded fine ,get it back home and won't start and intermittently wont turn over depending on where clutch positioned ,typical. It had been stood for a while so cleaned float bowls main jets and replaced fuel filter and drained tank replaced with fresh super unleaded....so after id done that it now turns over and goes to run but doesn't quite catch and some times doesn't even turn over unless I tap the "junction box" under seat ?.
Question is, obviously there's an issue with a relay within the junction box?, but would a fault within the junction box prevent it from running or just turning over ?
Not sure of junction boxes job as haven't got manual yet ..
Thanks in advance baconbutty

·
Registered
298 Posts
This is almost certainly a pilot issue.

The previous guy likely had issues starting it too but got it running and warmed it up before you arrived. Once warm it should start much better but you need to take care of the cold start problem.

You will have to pull the carbs and clean the pilots. The mains have nothing to do with starting. Replacing them outright may be a better option due to the very small holes.

Check your float levels while you are in there as these are very picky on float levels.

As for junction box, there are a multitude of Kawis in that era (90's/early 2000's) that used the same junction box. I believe all the 7Rs/7s and the ZX6R used the same one but will have to confirm from part number. There is also a separate fuel pump relay. I have had a bad one before which caused issues.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Try always turning the red switch to run then turn the key on. This works on my bike. Otherwise it won't turn over.

·
Registered
298 Posts
That is a pretty weird electrical issue Therion that shouldn't be the case. I have definitely seen intermittent connection issues with the clutch lock out as well. Come with age.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you evan sounds like you may have it nailed it ,engine was warm on arrival the crafty sod ,just wish people were honest! ,
Many thanks
I'll have to get a manual and look at doing them then,as ain't got a clue where they are .can you get them on eBay?
Cheers all baconbutty

·
Registered
918 Posts
That is a pretty weird electrical issue Therion that shouldn't be the case.
Indeed. I have much bigger problems to deal with now such as getting the bike to run period. I also noticed today that when I turn the key OFF the sparkplugs get fed a temporary current. Found out after getting a zap when testing for spark, WTF?

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
With the key off you should have zero current anywhere. You have an electrical issue that is likely contributing to your no start.

·
Registered
918 Posts
With the key off you should have zero current anywhere. You have an electrical issue that is likely contributing to your no start.
Since we are on the subject I might as well ask what this is? I bought the bike like this. There is also a yellow wire that goes from the positive battery post to an aftermarket switch mounted on the right side of the bike. You can see it on the battery post actually.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Feel your pain!.electrical issues can be a time burgling nightmare ..
I'd start by removing and taking any add ons out of the equation ,that's a strange one though that is ,I'm sure some one on here will no what the possible causes are on that one?.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Does the engine NOT turn over using the start switch or turns over but no start? If the engine doesn't turn over, also tap the starter relay. With all the zx7's ive had its always the junction box or starter relay.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi all after many hours with multimeter and checking coils fuel ECT my problem turned out to be fouled plugs ,but I did have the junction box issue (faulty intermittent relay whithin which you cant get to )which I resolved by buying a 2nd hand one off eBay . Ive had it running lovely and ticking over ,but when i put air filter back it ran crap and fouled plugs again, which should be either air filter,choke,or jetting which I will eliminate one by one .
The joys of old bikes eh!
What's your progress therion?

·
Registered
918 Posts
I put everything back together after cleaning the carbs to the best of my ability and it still won't start. It only started once after I put the carbs and airbox on and that was only because I poured some fuel into the intakes. Then nothing. I will take it to a mechanic in the spring. Nothing more I can do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts