Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this is in the ZX7R section the other day and only got 1 reply so I figured if I moved it over here I might have a little better luck
Heres the deal, I have this 97 ZX7R and occasionally when I try to start it nothing happens. It does this at random times so I cant pinpoint a constant factor. The guy I bought it from said he replaced the junction box recently and a mechanic that looked at it said it was fairly new. When I turn the key on, flip it to run, and hit the start button all it does is click the relay. If I put jumper cables on it it fires right up so I figured it was the battery and changed that but it still does it. I took it to a shop to have it looked at but of course it cranked everytime for them. I have a feeling its gonna be a loose connection or maybe a broken wire thats barely making contact. If anyone has any opinion on this Id love to hear em before I go take it to a shop and spend a ton of money on it. The bike has 21k miles if that helps anything.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
noone has any opinion?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how do I test the relay?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Oh man, this happened to me about 2 years after I bought my bike brand new. I would get power, and could hear the solenoid click just once, but no cranking. Totally random (which nearly always indicates electrical problem). I suspected it was the really, and tested it per the factory service manual. Of course it passed all tests. I'm telling you these things know when they're being tested and are always on their best behaviour like bratty little kids.

I had full warranty, and seriously thought about breaking the relay on purpose by breaking off a tab or something so the shop would replace it, but pulled one out of my friends zx-6r instead that he wasn't using. Haven't had a problem in 4 years so I'm comfortable that the relay was the problem, even though I never actually proved it.

If I had to guess I would say corroded or dirty contacts within the relay, and a jumping it provides a little more current than a normal bike battery allowing it to power through the iffy connection. Consider it a $90 gamble. If you could find one to borrow for a while to convince yourself that's the problem, even better!!

Bottom line, just based on personal experience and fighting with it myself for 6 months, I would say the relay.

·
Registered
82 Posts
was it the relay? having simular problem with my zx7, if i hit the starter relay with start button held in it will crank, if i dont it will crank 1 out of every 10 pushes of start button. my starter relay is located uner seat, right next to junction box.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I would check the relay in the junction box again. My zx9 has done this and when it does I'll pull the seat off and tap the junction box while I'm pushing the ignition switch and it starts everytime, it seems to do it when it sits for the day or overnight, but it has been getting more frequent through the summer.
Today I pulled the junction box out and removed the relay; you know; removed the solder and cut open the relay with my dremel; the contacts didn't look bad but I sanded them with some 400 grit sand paper and put it back together; solder it back in and taped the relay box back together. It worked flawlesly all day today, but I'll know tomorrow if I was succesful.
The thing is it will give the impression the battery is low; it would be wise to check the voltage in the battery.
I've noticed this type of problem a lot in the 9's and 7's...
Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts