Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have this 97 ZX7R. Occasionally when I try to start it nothing happens. It does this at random times so I cant pinpoint a constant factor. The guy I bought it from said he replaced the junction box recently and a mechanic that looked at it said it was fairly new. When I turn the key on, flip it to run, and hit the start button all it does is click the relay. If I put jumper cables on it it fires right up so I figured it was the battery and changed that but it still does it. I took it to a shop to have it looked at but of course it cranked everytime for them. I have a feeling its gonna be a loose connection or maybe a broken wire thats barely making contact. If anyone has any opinion on this Id love to hear em before I go take it to a shop and spend a ton of money on it. The bike has 21k miles if that helps anything.

·
Registered
94 Posts
try testing what its charging the battery at when the bike is running on a voltmeter it should be about 13-14 volts. if its charging ok. that I would say try to check the solenoid

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea Ive wondered if it might be a charging issue cause several times Ive been for a 2-3hr ride in the evening and the next day it starts fine but when I get to work after a 20min ride and try to start it 30min later nothing happens/

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So heres the deal, Im doing repair/repaint to the fairings from my wreck and I decide since Ive got it taken apart Im gonna take it to the shop and leave it a few days. This was last Tuesday. Ive talked to them several times and they say everytime they try to start it it fires right up and never acts up. Yesterday I decide Im gonna go by there and see if theyre doing sumthin Im not. It started right up so I shut it down and tried againm NUTHIN. It didnt crank. Come to find out they werent using the run/kill switch, they left it on and just used the key. I flipped the switch a few times and sure enough it started up. So I ended up finding the problem myself by complete accident. Im waiting on a ride now to go pick it up. Ill have everything finished painting today or tomorrow and have her back together bye Friday.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts