Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I bought this bike a few weeks ago. It is a 97 zx7r.
It was running very good just needs a fork seal and some wiring
For the signal lights. Always started first go, now I have started to take
It apart to re build it and I have all the plastics off as well as the tank
And airbox. I charged the battery this morning to top it up and do
Compression tests. When I went out I put the battery in and got ready to test
And found that it would not turn the starter, then it turned over for long enough to test one cylinder and tried again to continue testing. Nothing again and no luck since.
Switches seem good the main fuse and ign fuse are good. Everytime I hit the starter button there is one tick everytime I push it. It is not continuous just a single click from every press of the button. It is coming from the fuse box area, under the seat. Not sure if I'm missing something as it was working great before. Or maybe blew something hooking up the battery with too much charge but I have worked on some bikes before so I'm not totally new to this. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
78 Posts
check the voltage of the battery to see if thats the problem, usually if you get a click its a flat battery of the starter solonoid, you can test the solonoid by arking the 2 main connections to see if it then lets power through to the starter

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok i will give it a try next time i can get to working on the bike. What should the battery be reading. 12-13 volts? and I to arc the solenoid can i just use two wires from the existing battery if the battery is good?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Its your starter relay. If you're on the left side of the bike, its the relay closest to you that the main fuse is plugged into. Next time it does the click and stop thing, continue to hold the start button and use a wrench or something and give it a little tap. Should start right on up. Replace it and be worry free.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats what i was thinking. Just wanted to make sure im on the right track. I will go out after work tonight and give it a few taps with the wrench while im turning it over. And if it turns then ill order one up. Thanks for the info. I will update how it goes.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I got out to the bike for a little bit. Tried once to see and still nothing, hit the relay and it turned over. Then tried again and nothing tapping it or not. So it sounds like the relay but should it be working still if I tap it or is it just done now. I will be ordering one this week hopefully. Or could it be a connection near the relay, everything seems tight.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
A buddy of mine just had the same issue on his 9r. Cleaned the starter button and it turns over every time.

·
Registered
548 Posts
It won't cost much to replace the relay so its worth a shot. I had that same issue for a while which is why I suggest replacing it as its a common issue. Could also be the starter button and cleaning the contacts is free so you could also try that like it was mentioned before.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea for sure. never really got anything off e bay so now im waiting to validate pay pal so i can order one. As soon as that's good to go ill order the new one and in the time i wait for it i will clean all the connections. Hopefully that fixes it up, I will post the results once i finally get it put in after shipping up here to Nova Scotia lol.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finally got my relay in. Installed it and same issue. repeated clicks as i hit the starter button. Next time i can get over to the bike i am going to check the battery and the connections. The connections seem pretty bad in the connector that attaches to the relay so i will clean them and the switch. Let ya know how it goes.

·
Registered
573 Posts
3 things to check. Starter button corrosion, starter relay is messed or the clutch safety switch is worn out. To test the clutch safety switch hold the starter button down and slowly pull in the clutch and see if she starts... no mater what you should check the battery.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay. I am going to charge the battery up before i go back up to the bike.Then i will check the other things. I just found it odd. Because the bike started fine before i took the tank and fairings off, was wondering if some wires may have moved and are shorting out. Also i tried tapping the relay while holding the start button and it turned over so i figured it was the relay...or the connectors that plug into it, which is on my list to check as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts