Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I doubt im the only one on this, but whenever im starting to run low on gas, the bike stumbles. I need to quickly, and i stress quickly, switch it to reserve, while down shifting.
This way, the motor keeps spinning (bad- no oil pressure), and it will keep pumping gas to the carbs till the bowls fill back up.

Other wise, if i pull over and switch it to reserve, i need to crank and crank and crank untill the lines and bowls fill up with gas again..

Well today, my gloves would not let me switch to reserve fast enough, and i needed to pull over. I kept cranking for a while, and then my battery died.

No luck push starting it. but luckly, a guy let me use his charger. (I push started it for so long, I ended up in some neighborhood).

I dont ever want this to happen again.. Any ideas? I was thinking about wiring the fuel pump to a switch in parrallel, so the ecu can still controll it, but i can flip the switch and let the carbs fill back up with gas.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
If the motor is spinning, you have oil pressure. I dont know who told you otherwise. There is a reason the oil pressure light is not on while you crank the bike.

Wiring a switch in parallel is not a bad idea at all.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
But I should add, if your carbs didn't fill up in the time it took your battery to die, then your battery must be shot or you have a problem elsewhere.

From empty to full it only takes the fuel pump maybe 5 seconds to fill the carbs on my bike. I know this because I manually jump the pump to refill them when working on the bike.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmm. i just thought since its such a low rpm when your push starting it, that there is either no or very low pressure.

Oh, my bad, I get what your saying. besides, it was probably well over 800rpm

Im not sure about any other problems.. the battery will keep the starter cranking for a good couple minutes (not in one sitting though. dont wanna screw the starter)

Im probably going to give that a go.

and even worse, when i was push starting it, the road slightly leaned to the right....... and my bike tipped over.. Damn today is not a good day.
Scratches are not too too bad, but a bolt on the inside of the right fairing almost punched through the other side.. But the scratches are noticable.. Brand new custom paint job.
Im going to try to buff most of it out

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Yeah, my fairings had that problem with the bolt too. It sits very close to the inside of the plastics.

You may want to check into the fueling of your carbs. Take the tank off, get an auxiliary tank hooked up to the pump, then drain your carbs.

You can easily make a jumper using some wire and a couple of closed/round terminals. Just cut the terminal, bend it open so that its a straight tab and cut off the extra.

Make two, then crimp them onto your wires. Just plug them in and touch the leads to your battery.

I just used a wire cutter to trim the terminal, and a pair of pliers to bend it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
okay. thanks for the tip. ill try it out after i buff the scratches out. They are deep, but ill atleast get all the white shit off.

That bolt really screwed me.. it almost punched all the way through.. now its a cracking buldge with paint chipping off.. wtff. Cant believe it tipped over. funny, cuz yesterday i thought about buying frame sliders..
i was in such a weird position, and couldent keep the bike straight. the road didnt even lean alot. but it was just enough..

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
yeah, my stock stuff has a big bulge in the side where the bolt almost punched through, so I know exactly what you are talking about. That thing sits very close to the plastics even when everything is sitting right.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
damn.. it wouldent be that bad if that big ass buldge wasnt there.. i could just fill in the scratches with a touch up pen, but that buldge is killing me. I still cant believe i did that... ugh.
I just gotta get over it and keep improving the bike.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
similar to masta squidge, if you reach behind the right rear set, you can disconnect the connector to the fuel pump, then i use a set of jumper wires i keep under the back seat and jump the pump using the battery... problem solved

·
Premium Member
15,095 Posts
I just cycle the key a couple times on FI bikes and crank it a few seconds with the fuel cap open on carb bikes.

How did you drop your bike while trying to push start it? Were you off the bike?

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
I just cycle the key a couple times on FI bikes and crank it a few seconds with the fuel cap open on carb bikes.

How did you drop your bike while trying to push start it? Were you off the bike?
Good luck trying to push start a 7R while on it.

I am 6 feet tall with a 32" inseam and I can't do it. There is a very limited window in which your feet are able to touch the ground firmly. There is no way in fuck I would be able to push a it fast enough while sitting on it.

The seat is just too wide for that. My gf can't get more than the very tips of her shoes on the ground on my bike, but the seat height is actually slightly LOWER than my 500R was - and she could get her feet down on that.

·
Premium Member
15,095 Posts
I'm 6'4" with the same inseam. I don't know how much wider the seat is on a 7 than my 2000 6R but it wasn't TOO hard to push start it. Just kinda rock back and forth as you switch steps. Didn't have to be going very fast at all to get it to fire up. Hell I even push started my 10 and it is taller than my 6 was and it's FI.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
I'm 6'4" with the same inseam. I don't know how much wider the seat is on a 7 than my 2000 6R but it wasn't TOO hard to push start it. Just kinda rock back and forth as you switch steps. Didn't have to be going very fast at all to get it to fire up. Hell I even push started my 10 and it is taller than my 6 was and it's FI.
The 6R weighs nearly 100 lbs less too. The seat on the 7 is fuckin wide.

I mean fucking wide.

Ive been on 6s, and 1000s, and shit like that. The 7 is far wider. And its not even just the seat mind you, the whole waist of the bike is wide. The seat is only so wide, but the bike gets wider as you go down. The frame tapers as you go higher up.

·
Premium Member
15,095 Posts
So you can't put a foot down when you stop?

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
So you can't put a foot down when you stop?
Of course I can, I can put both feet down flat easily. But trying to push that fucker any faster than walking speed while sitting on the bike is:

·
Premium Member
15,095 Posts
I still find it hard to believe.

You shouldn't need more than 5-8mph to push start it.

I could push start a Rebel without even moving my feet. lol

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
I still find it hard to believe.

You shouldn't need more than 5-8mph to push start it.

I could push start a Rebel without even moving my feet. lol
Go get a 7 and try it then.

·
Premium Member
15,095 Posts
Bring yours down here. I wanna test this.

If you hadn't just bought your first bike a couple weeks ago I would possibly let you ride the 10 but since you're still a noob I don't feel comfortable letting you feel the POWA!!!

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Bring yours down here. I wanna test this.

If you hadn't just bought your first bike a couple weeks ago I would possibly let you ride the 10 but since you're still a noob I don't feel comfortable letting you feel the POWA!!!
lawl

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
You guys complicate things too much. Just tell the guy to crank the starter with the 1st gear on and the fuel pump will fill the damn floats! He won't need to suck all the juice from the battery. Impossibru mesmo. Jeeez.

Or the 7R doesn't have the clutch switch??

1 - 20 of 29 Posts